Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best Green Laser Under $20

Rockisy

Hi all-
I am extremely new to this laser thing and am looking for a laser to start with under $20. I don’t know what laser specifically to get but I want it to be green and the beam to be pretty visible in daylight. If it’s could pop balloons or light matches that would be really cool. Any suggestions? Thanks!

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Hate to burst your bubble Rockisy, but a daylight visible beam is not likely in your future. The dot from even a cheap 303 type green laser is very clearly visible in full daylight, but the beam....not so much. For the BEAM to be visible in daylight takes a lot of power. We're talking about cutting steel levels of power.

Try one of the 303 type green lasers found on fleabay. They're dirt cheap so order a couple, at least one will be a keeper. Most put out ~50-80mW and have a very visible beam, at night. But at that power level you should get some good safety goggles. Remember that the beam reflected off of something shiny is just as dangerous as the beam coming straight outta the business end of the laser and be careful what you point it at.

Howdy there, and welcome to LPF. You should start by posting something in the Welcome section about yourself - and let us know where you're located. You might get some better suggestions if people know where you are shipping the Laser. I found one recently in the US that wasnt much more than the 303/301 variations mentioned before (which will do you just fine), but has a neat 'kaleidoscope' star cap on it, and is a bit smaller overall: LINK. It came out to be around 60mw, so pretty bright at night, but likely not going to be popping many balloons.

Enjoy your stay and BE SAFE!

Last edited:
The Osram PL 520 direct diode rated for 50mw will happily do 100mw and makes a dam decent far field spot, they sell for 18-20 dollars unless you buy 10 then you can get them 10 for 150.00 making them 15 each, but you will need a driver and a host, I often repurpose a flashlight body or you can get a nice host here from a member with a lathe, drivers you can find on ebay and here.

The nice thing about directs is they don't mode hop and are not sensitive to ambient air temp like DPSS, they also have good longevity and steady output so long as you use a reasonable heat sink.

You can find 532nm 303 lasers on eBay for $5.00 or less. There are many sellers of these lasers, but they are all basically the same, so just shop for price. You can get the laser, a Li-ion battery, charger and star caps for ~$10.00. At these prices, you might want to pick up a couple as they normally run between 50 mW and 90 mW. If you don't have batteries or a charger, pick one up that does and buy the second laser alone. You can get both for under $20.00. But, to burn you'll need at least 1 watt of power and you won't get that for $20.00.

Rockisy

Hate to burst your bubble Rockisy, but a daylight visible beam is not likely in your future. The dot from even a cheap 303 type green laser is very clearly visible in full daylight, but the beam....not so much. For the BEAM to be visible in daylight takes a lot of power. We're talking about cutting steel levels of power.

Try one of the 303 type green lasers found on fleabay. They're dirt cheap so order a couple, at least one will be a keeper. Most put out ~50-80mW and have a very visible beam, at night. But at that power level you should get some good safety goggles. Remember that the beam reflected off of something shiny is just as dangerous as the beam coming straight outta the business end of the laser and be careful what you point it at.
No bubbles burst! I’m just scoping out what I can get in the price range. Thanks for the feedback!

Rockisy

You can find 532nm 303 lasers on eBay for $5.00 or less. There are many sellers of these lasers, but they are all basically the same, so just shop for price. You can get the laser, a Li-ion battery, charger and star caps for ~$10.00. At these prices, you might want to pick up a couple as they normally run between 50 mW and 90 mW. If you don't have batteries or a charger, pick one up that does and buy the second laser alone. You can get both for under $20.00. But, to burn you'll need at least 1 watt of power and you won't get that for $20.00.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Ok, I will look into that. Thank you!

Don't forget to wear laser safety glasses for the wavelength you are using if over 5mw when burning or viewing the spot up close, speaking of 5mw there are 5mw directs on ebay for 20 dollars in the pen format that last and are well suited for pointing, for a burner the 1w 445nm units will likely be the cheapest for that output, but wear those laser safety glasses.

Last edited:
Howdy there, and welcome to LPF. You should start by posting something in the Welcome section about yourself - and let us know where you're located. You might get some better suggestions if people know where you are shipping the Laser. I found one recently in the US that wasnt much more than the 303/301 variations mentioned before (which will do you just fine), but has a neat 'kaleidoscope' star cap on it, and is a bit smaller overall: LINK. It came out to be around 60mw, so pretty bright at night, but likely not going to be popping many balloons.

so well said I just copypasta Lew's work.

@ the OP
how many matches must you pop or balloons you must light before you see
this stuff is childish * there* I said it..
If you stick around or get even semi serious about lasers -how long before you would like to dele that OP.. you will feel embarrassed ..
and.. to those who are either NOT fond of lasers OR are 'on-the-fence', such things do nothing to show REALITY ...that NOT ALL of us are only interested ONLY in the destruction of stuff and putting put eyes, staring fires, lighting fireworks and cigarettes , cutting tape, make holes in black bags yadda yadda yadda -- those things are NOT what WE are about.. try the WL forum.. that's their 'thing'
and I will not waste my time debating eye protection with you..
and before you answer..( & lie) we would expect a pic of your glasses posted here today NOW spend 1/2 of that $20 & get some cheap eye protection until you can get higher grade glasses..
you can get R G and V pen pointers for ~$3 --to $4 FOR ALL & free$hip too. at eekbay (try blab1391).. same place to buy glasses
rant over

hak out

Last edited:

Rockisy

so well said I just copypasta Lew's work.

@ the OP
how many matches must you pop or balloons you must light before you see
this stuff is childish * there* I said it..
If you stick around or get even semi serious about lasers -how long before you would like to dele that OP.. you will feel embarrassed ..
and.. to those who are either NOT fond of lasers OR are 'on-the-fence', such things do nothing to show REALITY ...that NOT ALL of us are only interested ONLY in the destruction of stuff and putting put eyes, staring fires, lighting fireworks and cigarettes , cutting tape, make holes in black bags yadda yadda yadda -- those things are NOT what WE are about.. try the WL forum.. that's their 'thing'
and I will not waste my time debating eye protection with you..
and before you answer..( & lie) we would expect a pic of your glasses posted here today NOW spend 1/2 of that $20 & get some cheap eye protection until you can get higher grade glasses..
you can get R G and V pen pointers for ~$3 --to $4 FOR ALL & free$hip too. at eekbay (try blab1391).. same place to buy glasses
rant over

hak out

I didn't mean to offend you or anything. Just checking lasers out. I guess mention of balloons and burning was more of a power measurement for me, as I am new and do not know proper terms. I hate to say this, but this was not a warm welcome to the forum. Just because I asked for suggestions of lasers, you are now assuming I will lie on posts from now on. That doesn't give me a feeling that members here are respectful and understanding to newcomers. "I will not waste my time debating eye protection with you." Seriously? Thank you though for the suggestions!

IMHO very few here can honestly they got eye wear before their first 'real' laser..including myself... and sooner or later a member would have asked how you are protecting your eye from 1000mW of blue laser ( B&G are 'extra' dangerous) and my bad for assuming BUT he have been told that members won eye protection when that was not quite true.. IF you are protected==Bravo.. if not.. invest a little in protection . And until you have spent many hours working with lasers you will develop a 6th sense that 'guides' you around lasers in a way where injury is extremely unlikely..
Horizontal beams are the worst.. lasers pointing up or down are not going to hit the center of your eye.. and that is when getting blinded is a real possibility.. your eye's lens can/will magnify the power 100 X or more..

when pros are around running lasershow lasers you will see them adverting their eyes. or blocking w/ a hand. (but walking (quickly) thru beams) they will likely (and legally) have eye protection hanging around their necks or on top of the head etc. other times you cannot preform some functions w/o eye wear--
I speak only for myself... but if injuries and illegal lasings keep going on ...keep making the newz etc.. laws banning lasers WILL happen and HAS happened elsewhere..
we are NOT Doctors. the forum cannot be of much help after the injury..
we do not really like to see threads about a member getting possibly injured.
safe use is no joke..

feel free to PM me anytime.. hak