Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best driver to run 3A - 5A for blue diodes

Hello all.

I want to run blue spectrum diodes in the 3A to 5A range. I am looking for a driver which has the following features:
1) ESD protection
2) Reverse polarity protection
3) Adjustable current pot
4) Soft start (I assume longer duration is better?)
5) Footprint not much bigger than 10mm x15mm

It seems the Astral Superdrive HV is still not in production. Anybody know when?

Thank you.

Hi,
Still in all no reverse polarity protection, problem solve dont app batteries in backwards done deal. The operator should know his build.
Rich:)

ok, thanks.

So the Astral Superdrive V has ESD protection? Just making sure since I do not see it mentioned in the specs.

Also, the 'soft start' is 1millisecond. Doesn't this sound more like an 'instant on" rather than soft start?

Is there a driver out there that will soft start more like 1 second?

Barnett site says Blackbuck 8M soft start is 30 milliseconds but DTR site says 0.5 milliseconds. Which is it?

I assume the Blackbuck 8M has ESD protection? Anybody have any experience with this driver? It has some extra features - looks good.

thanks

Last edited:
Listing is for a single SXD Super X-Drive Bucking Laser Driver preset to 4.5A. The Sueper X-Drive is an extremely efficient buck style regulator with many built in safety features to protect and give long life to your laser diodes. Driver has soft start, overshoot protection and very low noise. The driver can operate without an external heat sink with the current up to 1.5A , but it requires a heat sink for currents above 1.5A if you want continuous operation.
It works with 2 or 3 cells Li-Ion or 6.5V-12V DC PSU.

1) Does the SXD have ESD protection? Is that what they mean by overshoot protection?
Does anyone know how many milliseconds the soft start on the SXD is?

2) The Blackbuck 8M is a 1-sided board which some claim is better for mounting and cooling. Is this a correct claim? Why is this better than just mounting a heatsink onto the chip?

3) Any disadvantages to the Blackbuck 8M other than higher cost, slightly larger board, and features you may or may not use?

Last edited:
I like the SXD, it has adequate soft start and I find thermally bonding to the 8 pin chip is easier, I have used many and they have been good drivers.

See the location of the ramp up cap here and modify if you have the skill.

** NOTE : Apparently these are not reverse battery protected.

Last edited:
Hi,
Its time for you to start doing your homework on the subject. There is plenty of info on all the drivers your asking ???? for.
You need to research and read.
Rich:)

Giannis_TDM

I like the SXD, it has reverse protection on the input end and also overshoot which is reverse protection and short protection on the output end, it won't die if you have an intermittent connection on the output side either, it has a thermal protection ( flashes ) IINM also adequate soft start and I find thermally bonding to the 8 pin chip is easier, I have used many and they have been good drivers.

Where did it state that it had reverse polarity protection on the input? I don't see the vin going through any mosfet,diode,ultrafast fuse to do that...

nmbusa

I like the SXD, it has reverse protection on the input end and also overshoot which is reverse protection and short protection on the output end, it won't die if you have an intermittent connection on the output side either, it has a thermal protection ( flashes ) IINM also adequate soft start and I find thermally bonding to the 8 pin chip is easier, I have used many and they have been good drivers.

put the batteries the wrong way in and give us your input on reverse protection!!
then check out this reverse polarity ;)

Giannis_TDM

put the batteries the wrong way in and give us your input on reverse protection!!
then check out this reverse polarity ;)
Hehe, I was like wait a sec, Is there some dark magic design using a pentagram on the PCB that makes it reverse polarity protected without the mosfet found on my drivers, or a diode or just a fuse? ;)

I know it ( sxd ) has overshoot protection because I connected a diode backwards once and the driver saved me from killing it, also ran one without a load for a minute without any apparent damage .....however doing that is not recommended, I don't know that I have ever connected the input/battery backwards but I thought it was reverse input protected as well, I was apparently mistaken.

Also I usually mark inside my tail cap for polarity so I don't stick batteries in backwards.

Giannis_TDM

I know it ( sxd ) has overshoot protection because I connected a diode backwards once and the driver saved me from killing it, also ran one without a load for a minute without any apparent damage .....however doing that is not recommended, I don't know that I have ever connected the input/battery backwards but I thought it was reverse input protected as well, I was apparently mistaken.

Also I usually mark inside my tail cap for polarity so I don't stick batteries in backwards.
Yes, Reverse polarity protection is to prevent mishaps, nobody will be 100% perfect all of the time so shit will happen if you don't have measures against that, Without them, it is not a question of if it's a question of when.

We should at least make safety end caps for our hobby portables in lieu of shutters and use two switches and building in lens flair hiders would also be a good practice, something as simple as a handmade cardboard cap with a hot glue plug in it so you can see if it's accidentally turned on, like you said, accidents do happen......However many people simply accept the risks, blowing a driver/diode is much less important than other mistakes.