Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best approach to multi-module heatsink design? (concerned about alignment)

@RHD- Yes, in fact I went back tonight and tried it with both a regular three element and DTR's newest G9 barrels and they both have plenty of play and definitely swing the beam. Also, I found the lenses I have on eBay, took a screen shot but forgot to copy the address. Just ebay search 473 lens.

Just take any of your handhelds with one of these types of barrels and hold the laser steady against the wall and grab the lens and wiggle it back and forth. At 20 ft with a G9 I can get about 16" of swing in any direction. That's only with the ones I am using a spring, the ones I have tape on the threads barely move. Maybe a couple inches at 20'

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Do you care about the beam profiles?
Mount lasers in the housing with a good heatsink. Make lenses loose and decenter them to get required parallelism of your beam.

Version two - a complicated design.
Mount laser modules in the spheres, spheres go into a heatsink. The spheres will provide you alignment possibility. CNC might handle that LOL.

Version three - hot melt.
Mount lasers in the heatsink, align, and fix with hot melted copper to get best thermal contact LOL

What is a power level we are taking?