Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam RGB laser projector

ALF666

I was wondering ... if someone try to build [ maybe me :D ] rgb laser projector from fat beams lasers ? Is it technically possible ?

diachi

I was wondering ... if someone try to build [ maybe me :D ] rgb laser projector from fat beams lasers ? Is it technically possible ?

Yes it's possible. You may need to use larger scanner mirrors though which will either reduce your scan speed or reduce your scan angle if you keep the same speed. It's that or you use smaller mirrors and have a bunch of the beam miss the mirrors.

Benm

It depends a bit how 'fat' you actually mean.

If it's something like 3 to 5 mm diameter beams it's feasible though the 'standard' galvo and mirror kits will have some loss due to missing the mirror especially in the corners of the projection area.

Larger mirrors would be the obvious solution, though i think it would be best to get galvo's that are intended to use with those. Just replacing the mirrors on existing galvo's with bigger ones could cause problems as they are not designed for the extra inertia and even a compensation pot on them could not provide enough range.

Yes it's possible. You may need to use larger scanner mirrors though which will either reduce your scan speed or reduce your scan angle if you keep the same speed. It's that or you use smaller mirrors and have a bunch of the beam miss the mirrors.

Well...you could use Flat/Fat beams....but why ??? Just throw some Cylindrical Lenses in front of yer beam....and....Wah Lah !!! Nice tight beams.

The methods are well reviewed, here and at PL...Just purchase some 6X lenses from Laser Show Parts....and experiment !!!....I think...IIRC....about $ 50 USD a set !!
....you will have to message Dave and ask him because....I do not think they are listed on the store.

I mean...really...If you have the drive to build your own projector....a very doable thing....go the extra distance....and get yourself some decent beams.

But....everyone has both a * ....and an opinion !!:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Beam Out:san:

diachi

It depends a bit how 'fat' you actually mean.

If it's something like 3 to 5 mm diameter beams it's feasible though the 'standard' galvo and mirror kits will have some loss due to missing the mirror especially in the corners of the projection area.

Larger mirrors would be the obvious solution, though i think it would be best to get galvo's that are intended to use with those. Just replacing the mirrors on existing galvo's with bigger ones could cause problems as they are not designed for the extra inertia and even a compensation pot on them could not provide enough range.

Yeah, I should have been a little clearer with my explanation. You explained that nicely! :)

Well...you could use Flat/Fat beams....but why ??? Just throw some Cylindrical Lenses in front of yer beam....and....Wah Lah !!! Nice tight beams.

The methods are well reviewed, here and at PL...Just purchase some 6X lenses from Laser Show Parts....and experiment !!!....I think...IIRC....about $ 50 USD a set !!
....you will have to message Dave and ask him because....I do not think they are listed on the store.

I mean...really...If you have the drive to build your own projector....a very doable thing....go the extra distance....and get yourself some decent beams.

But....everyone has both a * ....and an opinion !!

Beam Out

I agree, clean up your beams if you can. That said, it sounds like OP deliberately wants to use fat beams for whatever reason (safety perhaps?), so he wants the larger diameter beams to be projected.

OP - What beam diameter are you thinking of using? That'll help us give you an answer! :)

Last edited:

ALF666

I've tried put fat beam [ about 8-9mm diameter ] inside cheap chinesee laser show bar but output was similar to the orginal point lasers only much darker.
I dont't wanna make this for safety reasons but only for visual effect. I'm thinking about make some kind of laser visual show where fat beams will be main part of show and thin graphic from laser projector don't look good ... so ... I thougt about larger diameter of beams outputting from projector matching the rest of the show. :)

I personally don't know how well fat beams will work. Between the small mirror surface area, and the very limited movement of the galvos, I'd think it'd just end up looking more like a blur on the wall rather then an actual pattern.

diachi

I personally don't know how well fat beams will work. Between the small mirror surface area, and the very limited movement of the galvos, I'd think it'd just end up looking more like a blur on the wall rather then an actual pattern.

You can scan surprisingly well with large mirrors and good galvos/amps... Have seen both a laserscope and a CuBr scan on clouds - now that's a fat beam! :p Beam on that CuBr was probably a good 20mm!

Hmmmmm.....Just a little " Cloud Humor "

Imagine advertising on the cloud bottoms !!! hahahaha..." Eat at Joe's" !!! JK

The FAA would not be amused !!! :wave::wave::wave:

Attachments

• Bat Beam 5.jpg
    Bat Beam 5.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 33
Those beams diverge over distances already. You might be able to just use the projectors as-is and they'll get fat on their own.