Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BDR-S06J 12x Sled question

I don't know about that.
From anything I have read about it as well as one infrared diode that died in impact, they are rather sensitive to knocks, especially when they are operating.
My infrared diode only dropped about 16 inches onto plywood, didn't survive...
The more mass a heatsink has, the less force a diode would take from a hit though. Rubber o-rings in the host supporting the heatsink can also take a lot of the shock away.
Depends on how it hits but they aren't as tough as LEDs ^_^

did you drop the diode or the diode protected inside a heatsink? I said its a different scenario for a direct hit to the diode.

Its just not likely that tap on the palm caused the diode to physically break from the g-forces....

My diode was just in a module when it died, running about 1/2 capacity....
Took a while to figure it out, infrared is annoying that way ^_^

FYI: My BDR-S06J just LED'd on me running at 570mA after only about 15 minutes of actual ON TIME. I was using short duration cycles and it was running in a Copper heatsink. NO heat issues either. Just a Warning that perhaps these are not as robust as we thought. Prior to this however, I must say that the beam was impressive and I was able to pop a Black ballon at 60'+! Burning stuff at focus was incredible also. Almost as good as my 1.7Watt 445nm. If I get another, I am going to set it back to no higher than 475mA.

mfo

Hi guys.
I'm about to order one or two of these sleds, but i don't see it as a popular diode. Is there any more experience with this sled 405nm diode of performance other than Morgan's input from the graph in sticky thread? I'm curious weather its safe to push them with to 500mA as other 12x diodes.

your input is much appreciated.

thanks

Hey man, long time no see! How's the baby doing?

Modwerx and Rayfoss.

I tapped mine in the host to see if the lens was loose and I LEDd the diode, so just be careful....

Also, dont expect to have a bright beam or dot. I set mine for 520mA and my 200mW 650nm blew it clean out the water.

You LED'd a s06j by tapping the host? What kind of power did you make at 520ma? Mine is dialed to 500ma and makes a steady 770-775mw.

Ray J Neal said:
You LED'd a s06j by tapping the host? What kind of power did you make at 520ma? Mine is dialed to 500ma and makes a steady 770-775mw.

His post was a copy of toasters a page back, may have been a failed attempt at quoting.

Must have been something wrong with the diode because my 6x has a brighter beam than my 350ma red

Last edited:
my 12x pushing @ 441mA is (to my eye at least) is ~1/4 as bright as a 1.6W 445 and 10X as bright as a 200mW red which is almost as bright as 80mW of green.
Hmmm, I think I said that right :p

daguin

Modwerx and Rayfoss.

I tapped mine in the host to see if the lens was loose and I LEDd the diode, so just be careful....

Also, dont expect to have a bright beam or dot. I set mine for 520mA and my 200mW 650nm blew it clean out the water.

For extracting, I use the file then twist method. worked good.

Modwerx and Rayfoss.

For extracting, I use the file then twist method. worked good.

That's enough for me

Peace,
dave

I didn't see that this got an answer,
The 12x produce less heat but enough to kill them selfs if not heatsinked well, your copper heatsink is the best one to use ;)
The 445 is a LOT more heat tollerent you could say.

Question, what kind of heat do these 12x generate compared to the a140? I was going to use a cree c6 host with a copper heatsink. I am assuming a 12x running at 500mA will generate less heat than an a140 running at 1A, but I could be wrong. Anyone know?

I had to use the twist with 2 pairs of pliers, get annoyed, go out into the shop, get a file, decide it is too small and "vibration sensitive" to use said file, try to leave the shop, trip because the ESD cable was still attached to my leg (and the other end wired to the welding bench), go back in the house and use a vise to break off 3 corners method.
*This technique is not recommended*
Actually, breaking off the corners (go slow, they "fold" off pretty easily) was easier BY FAR than twisting to break the glue and using a screw to push out the diode.
Once the corners were gone I just tipped up the heatsink and the diode fell out in my hand.
Fold the corners off AWAY from the side the diode pins are on.

I extracted one of these yesterday by twisting the heat sink a couple of time and it just fell out, stupidly I forgot to get the hard ribbon off before I took it out of the heat sink which made things difficult. Got it running at 390ma atm with a G-1 lens in a fan cooled heat sink and its going nicely makes the PHR look like a POS :p