Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BDR-S03 quetions and/or alternatives?

mfo

Hello everyone! Question! I'm looking to construct a BDR-S03 laser around Christmas time or so. Anyhow, I read some threads on here about how it sucks. Like you have to be careful when you initially power it up? I'm not looking to waste $100 for this diode, so can anyone recommend what I should do? I'm looking to accomplish 400mW with the 405-G-1 lens from JayRob. Thanks!

daguin

We just don't know what the s03 is capable of yet. Several members had their s03 die at 300mA.

You will not find an alternative for $100

So far I think we have found three 8X's that will do what you want

Pioneer BDR 203
LG 8X
Buffalo 8X

However, you are looking at around $200 for the drive.

Peace,
dave

mfo

We just don't know what the s03 is capable of yet. Several members had their s03 die at 300mA.

You will not find an alternative for $100

So far I think we have found three 8X's that will do what you want

Pioneer BDR 203
LG 8X
Buffalo 8X

However, you are looking at around $200 for the drive.

Peace,
dave

Hmm, patience will make the prices drop down! Thanks for the help Dave.

daguin

Hmm, patience will make the prices drop down! Thanks for the help Dave.

Absolutely! When the 10X's hit the market the 8X's will drop in price. By the time the 12X's hit the country, 8X's should be very affordable

Peace,
dave

Tabish

A year from now, im sure 8x will be very affordable.
Couple years from now, blueray will be the standard and we will probably have speeds over 20x (hoping)

For now, phr / ggw 6x seem to give a good bang for your buck.
Just wait it out and get a 6x for now instead.
Unless you got the 200$ for a 8x lol

Krutz

well, do the diodes from the three "known good"

Pioneer BDR 203
LG 8X
Buffalo 8X

look similar? the s03 diode still is the only diode ever found with "side-burned" markings?

ah, yes, sure, we could wait half an eternity until 8x diodes are cheap.. but that would be like saying now "oh, great, 4x diodes are cheap now, will get that, instead of the shiny new 8x" ;-)

manuel, tempted himself

HIMNL9

^ Well, actually i'm having enough fun with my 6X, from GGW and SF sleds, and, cause can't afford a 280 Euro drive just for mangle it, i think i still have to exercise my patience virtue for another little bit ..... :crackup:

Probably a good burn in session before you crank up the juice might help it handle the high current you wish to drive it at once its in a host