Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BDR-209 SL S4 build(pic heavy)

So after my first BDR diode that went LED I ordered another one from DTR.I ordered it in 12mm copper module with nano driver set at 620mA.My last build with this diode was with survival laser driver set at 530mA it lasted two months.
rsz_dsc_1946.jpg
(my first build with BDR-209 in winter)

So I decided to go with nano because I was told that nano is is designed for this fragile diode so I hope it will last
long.
rsz_dsc_2272.jpg
(first build BDR-209 LED)

Ok before I start I'd like to talk a little about safety.If you are new and you trying to build a laser like this one don't order diode first.First of all order a good expensive laser glasses.If you have got 200$ to spend on laser then you've got 30$ for glasses.You have only one pair of eyes and if you hit yourself with laser you maybe won't go completely blind, if you will be lucky you will see a black spot in front of you for the rest of your life(brain will "repair" that spot and you will see blurry for example you will never be able to read again depend on how big your brand new burn spot will be).I am not saying that you should wear glasses all the time just wear them on burning and when you are looking at the dot at close range mirrors etc.I like to see the beam too but you just need to know when it's safe and when not.
Next thing that I learned is that you should never trust your tailcap, you don't need to press button to power up your laser.It can turn on on its own if there isn't much space between battery and spring.Three days ago I was sitting on my bed and reading something on LPF with this BDR build in my belt holster.Then i smelled something burning.I had my phone on charger as I was reading so I thought charger was burning or something.I couldn't find the source of this burning smell (I totally forgot about my laser) until I felt a really painfull sting.It was like if someone pierced my skin with red hot needle.I immediately opened holster and tried to hit the switch but nothing happened(laser burned through holster and my t-shirt.I screwed of the tailcap and laser finnaly turned off (ofcourse).Spring on tailcap was bent when it touched battery.I fixed that by wrapping negative end of battery with some insulating tape.
rsz_dsc_1959.jpg
It didn't happen again.Imagine that you are sleeping and you have still batteries in your laser, under your bed and then it turns on....I am trying to tell you that you need to take safety very seriously.Yes accidents happen but why when you can just wear some glasses.

Ok with that being said.We can start.
I placed order and module arrived after 6 DAYS! It is awesome because it travelled distance of more than 7000 kilometers or ~4350 miles!
I couldn't wait to build it.I unpacked it and started.I placed a piece of aluminium foil on table and grounded it to socket ground(LD's are sebsitive to Electrostatic discharge).I also grounded myself (Added 2 mega ohm resistor between me and gnd if i touched something hot. For example exposed wire on soldering iron.)Next I placed on heatshrink tubes on wire so it won't short in host.
soldering_together.jpg
And then I put everything together.I used black anodized heatsink and G2 host is SL S4.I couldn't wait until I turn it on.I inserted the battery(It takes one 18650 battery) and clicked switch but.... Nothing.I soon figured out that problem was in tailcap with which I had problems later on (that burning thing).When I repaired tailcap (Unscrewed everything that i could and put it back together)and turned it on it finally worked!Beautiful color that ~405nm is. I see dot as something between blue violet and grey.Beam is pure violet.Beam divergence is perfect I could light a match at 3 meters (~9 feet) instantly.Nitrocellulose isn't problem too (it's easier to burn).405nm is great wavelength for burning because 405nm is absorbed in good amout even by light colored objects and because of divergence it has tight beam and high energy density.

rsz_dsc_1964.jpg
Left 1W 405nm, right 5W 450
rsz_dsc_1965.jpg
Closer look at 1W 405nm burned line

And for dutycycle: I am trying to run it at 30sec on 30sec off(on warm days off will be much longer)
Ok I know.Pictures.I will take some photos tomorrow and upload them here.
So this is my second post and first review of my build.I hope you like it and be safe.
Ps it's my first review please tel me what should I improve and sorry for my english :)

Edit: so as I said pictures are in my post somewhere below

Last edited:

That is a higher current than I would have set one of these diodes at. These seem to last longer if set to no more than 550 mA. It is a great diode if you are planning on just burning things. Hope yours lasts at this higher current. I also use a large heat sink with this diode because they have been known to fail prematurely.

I planed to have it set at something like 450mA because my last build failed at 530mA (most likely because of driver) but nano's curent is set via resistors and I don't trust myself in desoldering it and soldering other value SMD resistor.so I just have to let it be and hope that it will last long:oops:.

Mine has had two diodes now. Both run mainly on a SL driver. I have a suspicion therefore I’m retiring this driver for 405s at least. I may just use it for a low dose red diode or something later. Good luck
SGD🍻

The first 16x lasted about a year. Not bad. The second a 12x only a couple months I think. And I don’t drive diodes too the gnat’s ass limit either. I’d like to maybe try that 350 soon.
SGD🍻

So adding more pics
rsz_dsc_2319.jpg
S4 host

rsz_dsc_2321.jpg
S4

rsz_dsc_2325.jpg
Beam this close to what I see but in real it is more ghosly color

rsz_dsc_2322.jpg
Dot at ~3 meters

rsz_dsc_2320.jpg
S4

rsz_dsc_2324.jpg
~5W 450nm on right. ~1W 405nm on left

rsz_dsc_2326.jpg
This is very close to what I see.

rsz_dsc_2327.jpg
And this is almost what I see
Thanks for stopping by.

I'm wondering why you have the module so far out from the heat sink in your build. Most are actually better off having it flush with the heat sink as this will allow for better heat transfer.

I'm wondering why you have the module so far out from the heat sink
Because copper back half is too long and I use thicker wire for blank circuit board so it just doesn't fit in.I am planning to fix this in the future.

Edit: fixed.Thanks for remind.

rsz_dsc_2334.jpg

Last edited:
Also, sometimes it doesn’t hurt to dab a little thermal compound on the module if the fit is a little loose. If you can get copper shimming that works too.
If you use thermal compound, use a silicone base. Unlike epoxies it breaks free easily when time comes.
SGD🍻

Also, sometimes it doesn’t hurt to dab a little thermal compound
Yes, I used Arctic MX-2.It's the best thermal compound that I could find in our city.I heard indium foil is better than any thermal compound but it's very expensive.And BDR-209 isn't heating that much as for example my NUBM44 in S4 so thermal compound should be good enough for it.

Last edited:
funny you mention that because ive been using my SL 530ma for almost 3 years on the 209 and over 100 hours on it. watch it blow up tomorrow :~/ very nice build though. with a G2 and 620ma youre probably getting a watt if not, more! 🍻
by the way I never leave batteries in my lasers EVER! always take them out when youre done playing with them :)
I know youre supposed to ground yourself when messing with laser diodes but I have never actually done that lol im usually careful to not short anything out :D

Last edited:
funny you mention that because ive been using my SL 530ma for almost 3 years on the 209
Really ?That's awesome!I hope it will last 3 more years.Have you got any power decrease on it?

I know youre supposed to ground yourself when messing with laser diodes but I have never actually done that lol im usually careful to not short anything out :D
With my luck I would only badly looked at it and it would blown up or something:LOL:.

We don't have problems with ESD where I live either, but I use ESD protection whenever I am working with laser diodes because you just never can tell. When I was in Colorado you would notice electrostatic discharge often in the winter, but the humidity in Washington is much higher than there.