Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batteries in the UK

OK, I'm completely perplexed about what batteries to get. Would normal AA's be fine or would 3v's be too little? If so what lith's can I get in the UK that would be fine? Or... can I get liths and a charger off DX and not blow them up by plugging them into the UK mains? I've found some disposable liths over here that are 3v's each but they are relatively expensive. The only other liths I've seen so far are the new energizer ones and they are only 1.5v each.

So, what do you guys suggest?

Cheers,

Medd

It is really all down to what you want to do with the batteries, also buy from DX they are cheaper than anything you can buy in the UK..........

Example 1) You have built a blueray laser and 7805 driver into a host that will take 2 AAA batteries (3v).
Obviously you need more volts in a small space so you go for these....
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.974
For which the charger listed will handle 240V but needs to have a proper plug attached.

Example 2) you have fitted a Stonetek red with DDL driver into a 2 CR123A host (6v), the batteries sag rapidly and you find it hard to burn things, you need to go for these.....
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11386
Again the charger they sell for these is OK for UK voltage.

I hope that helps
Regards rog8811

Heh... sorry guys. It would be similar to example two. DIY red burner! Thanks for your help, the main thing I wanted to know was if I could use the chargers over here! Knowing that gives me a lot more options on hosts as I was sticking to hosts that only took AA batts. So now that I can use anything I will have to go window shopping again!

Thanks alot and sorry for not giving all the info.

Medd

A random and possibly useless question, are 3.6v batts ok in the MXDL torch that most people use? The DX description says not to use them, but I guess that cause you wouldn't be using the torch circuit then 3.6's would be fine?

You're going to say yes now and this will have been a stupid question...

Medd

If it is something you don't know it does not follow that it is a stupid question ;)

DX say do not use them in the standard torch.....you are fitting an LD and circuit so no problem, the package size is the same for both types of battery.

Regards rog8811