Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Basic li-ion battery care and maintenance

CE5

No worries, and thanks for mentioning your favorite charger the Opus BT-C3100.
I wish you would have put up a quick link to the review, because I had to scroll way towards the bottom of the page to find it. :D
But seriously, thanks for adding that. Because you pre-answered the next question I was going to ask. ie; What's the best charger? that Opus unit looks like it is suhweet!
What's a good/favorite place, to order one of those from?
Thanks again.

Point 3: I agree with the others. It may do good, but it is unreasonable. Who here charges their batteries just to slightly discharge them again before storing.

unreasonable ? If the batteries need a charge you don't have to charge them all the way back up to full charge and then discharge them to storage voltage, Just charge them up to storage voltage and stop.

Managing batteries is not hard, takes little time, And I don't believe is unreasonable for the power they can dish out....... :beer:

No worries, and thanks for mentioning your favorite charger the Opus BT-C3100.
I wish you would have put up a quick link to the review, because I had to scroll way towards the bottom of the page to find it. :D
But seriously, thanks for adding that. Because you pre-answered the next question I was going to ask. ie; What's the best charger? that Opus unit looks like it is suhweet!
What's a good/favorite place, to order one of those from?
Thanks again.

I got mine from GearBest, IIRC. They aren't cheap, but I got a discount as a member here and think it was ~$45.00. If you read through the entire review, which is very long, you will see that this is much more than a charger. You can test the capacity of your batteries, check the dynamic internal resistance, which is similar to the Effective Series Resistance of capacitors, restore some batteries that have lost some of their capacity and much more. I also have Nitecore chargers, but they don't hold a candle to the Opus. Good luck with your research. :san:

CE5

Taking a chance of a Li-ion fire with a 2 cent nail! No thanks! My family and home are worth the $25 nail! :thinking:

Thanks for this analogy.
Because of this thread I feel it would be a good idea to pick up a good quality charger. And I also did some further research and found these:
https://www.hobbytiger.com/product-category/lipo-safe-bags/

Do believe I'm going to make a modest investment in one of those fire retardant/explosion proof LiPo, safety bags as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8LsPv1_uM

Let's assume I believe that you correctly determined the charger to be the cause, and not the protection circuit, not the polarization, not debris in the socket, not a wild mains voltage transient, and not the cell itself... I'm sure you could find a personal testimony where someone had an identical experience with a $50 charger.

I bet you put a seat-belt on your toilet, too.

Like it or not, you take chances with your life every day.

Kinda blows my mind to see members snidely remarking against safe practices here on the forum. What's next? 'Safety glasses are for wimps?'

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I got mine from GearBest, IIRC. They aren't cheap, but I got a discount as a member here and think it was ~$45.00. If you read through the entire review, which is very long, you will see that this is much more than a charger. You can test the capacity of your batteries, check the dynamic internal resistance, which is similar to the Effective Series Resistance of capacitors, restore some batteries that have lost some of their capacity and much more. I also have Nitecore chargers, but they don't hold a candle to the Opus. Good luck with your research. :san:

Paul, that is the same charger (Opus BT-C3100 V2.2) that I've been using for quite a while now, so far it's been a great charger for me, mine might actually be the V2.1.
I also have an older Xtar charger which also has been a good charger.
I do remember reading a thread a while back where a few members had some problems with the Opus, but for the most part, I think most are happy with theirs.

I just checked with GearBest, and they are having a flash sale on them right now; 2 days left on the sale. $29.99 :wave:

Opus BT - C3100 V2.2 Smart Battery Charger EU PLUG-$29.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Last edited:
That is an awesome price for this charger, Jeff. If I didn't already have one that works perfectly, I'd buy it. CE5, if you want the Opus, here is your chance to get one uber cheap.

Edit: I just noticed the one with the U.S. plug is $30.99, still a good price, but they are limited to a very small supply. Just noticed this is a Russian website. Don't know if these prices are applicable on the U.S. site.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, that's what I was thinking too, an extra buck for a US plug isn't bad.
I sent CE5 a PM earlier so he'd see the deal.
Why do you think it's a Russian site, I think it's just GearBests site, and those first few videos are Russian, not sure though.

You may be right, Jeff. I took the two videos in Russian to mean the site was Russian. I know that CE5 was very interested in the Opus after i brought it to his attention. I think it was very nice of you to PM him about it so he doesn't miss out on this deal. :D

CE5

Hey guys, thanks you rock!
I did check out gearbest, it looks like it's a (China) company Hichina Zhicheng Technology Ltd. probably assoc. with Alibaba. Their servers, according to Whois are located in Seattle, Wa. w/Akamai Technologies Inc. They probably have the Russian, language clips because that charger is perhaps very popular there? They are just doing the usual target marketing.

I also found the Opus, on Amazon. For $39.99 and since I have an Amazon, gift card, I just went ahead and ordered it from there.

After reviewing that youtube clip I linked showing those E-cig explosions, that really drove home the point to be mindful with these Li-ion cells.
Curious, that with all of all the excellent advice, and attention given to proper eye protection here (with good reason) that there is sparse, notice and attention devoted to the safe practices and precautions for handling Li-ion and other similar cell technologies.

Made all the more glaring of an omission in light of the vid clip, that graphically demonstrated just what sort of damage, these cells are capable of.
Granted, these Li-ion and similar cells are in widespread use in a variety of consumer electronics, laptops, mobile phones etc. And of course, the majority of portable handheld laser pointers.

IMHO, at the very least, a sticky should also be posted in the Laser Safety Info, sub forum and also in the Safety and Legal Issues, sub forum.
Since there are folks (again as mentioned in that E-cig clip) that are completely unaware of the hazards associated with Li-ion, and assoc. cell types. Just miss-matching the polarity or in some way creating a short etc, could result in catastrophic failures.

Even in my brief tenure here on the forum, I've noticed that portable LP's seem to have an especially alluring appeal among minors, and those who are 'young at heart'. And during that same time period, I've also noted the sincere and genuine concern and advice so thoughtfully given. And that by creating a concerted effort to also include 'Cell Safety' this seems like it would and should just be a natural extension, going forward. And also, it's an opportunity to get ahead of the curve, and be on top of this issue, when and if it ever becomes a contentious one. And like most things of this nature, it probably will become contentious. Sooner, rather than later.

Apologies for the minor thread derail.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Any recommendations on a charger that includes a NiZn profile?