Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Baloon pop 405 nm

I recently purchased a 405nm 100mW laser from Lazerer. I have been trying to pop black baloons with it recently and it works but it takes forever. Like minutes. Most youtube videos ive seen pop baloons in mere seconds, I know my lazer is only 93mw, it was tested. but I feel like it should still pop faster than it is, considering it has a focusable lens, is something wrong with it?

Blord

Did you focus the dot to a tiny point ? It shouldn't take minutes to pop a balloon with 100mW 405nm laser.

Yes, it is as focused as possible. I don't know whats going on. i even tried steadying the laser on a table while taping the button down.

Blord

At what distance are you trying to pop balloons ? Too far and the dot hasn't enough energy left for a strong burn. Because lenses aren't perfect less light is able to diverge in to a small point if it goes too far.

At what distance are you trying to pop balloons ? Too far and the dot hasn't enough energy left for a strong burn. Because lenses aren't perfect less light is able to diverge in to a small point if it goes too far.
I'll do it at less than 5 feet and it still wont pop

Blord

5 feet is long considering you have only 93mW of power. Try it at 1 feet.

I've held it straight up to the damn baloon haha. Still not working, i'm going to try and recharge the battery, hopefully that will work. If not, I'm going tobe kinda pissed, because i feel like its way more underspec than they said

93mW should have no problem popping most colored balloons almost instantly when focused properly.

405nm, however, is a difficult wavelength to see. Are you sure the balloon is placed at the focal point of the beam? It may be hard to tell since 405nm light appears blurry and dim to most people.

Try this:
Set the laser on a table or other stable platform and turn it on. Focus the laser at 2-3 feet. Use a spray bottle of water to make a mist (careful not to spray into the aperture of the laser). This will make it easier to visualize the beam. Once you can see the focal point - that is the point where the beam is the thinnest - hold the balloon in that point of the beam and see if it still doesn't pop.

Last edited:
hmmm, It seems I have figured out the problem. I had focused the laser TOO much, if that is possible. I turned my focusing lens all the way inward(focused) and it wouldnt pop fast enough. I turned it just a little back toward the unfocused end, maybe an inch of turning. then i pointed it and BAM! POP it went. I don't know why this happened if anyone can explain that would be great, just out of pure curiosity.

Last edited:
you happened to find the 'sweet spot'
its easy when trying to focus to go past that point so you may have 'skipped' over it.
common with 445 diodes- it takes tiny adjustments once you are close-
Some have claimed thier laser could not be focused until they tried doing it this way==shining on a white surface or not wearing your goggles make focusing much harder..like the good advice from RA Pierce- Bluray is not so easy to focus our eyes on.
hk