Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bad News

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Unfortunately some bad news here.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling slight chills and with a stuffy nose. Immediately called in sick from work and went to a covid 19 testing site which is fortunately located only 15 minutes away from my house.

This morning I get the results, and it has come back positive for covid 19.

I have been resting at home today. I don't feel too bad, just mild cold like symptoms as of now. Tiredness, stuffy nose and still slight chills.

I work in retail, and take public transit to and from work, so there is likely no way I will ever know exactly how I got it.

One thing of note, possibly the very first symptom I had, was I noticed a slight redness in my left eye late Friday afternoon. By bedtime Friday it had gone to the other eye as well. I wear contact lenses and sometimes I get this from just putting them in or taking them out a bit too roughly, so I didn't think too much of it at first, but by the end of the day it was a bit more than normal for a contact lens problem.

Anyway, I will keep this thread updated as I will be self isolating at home for at least the next 10 days.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear you have caught it, please keep us informed.
Are you taking a zinc supplement ?
My brother in law had it and he took an OTC expectorant to help clear congestion when needed, he got through it just fine, worst was a period of night sweats and coughing up some phlegm but he got over it at home, he's in his 50's and has had some asthma stuff before.
So far everyone I know who has had it survived with no hospitalization.

Last edited:

Encap

Sorry to hear you contracted Covid19.
If you don't have co-morbidites and are young than 65 the younger the better, you should get through it fine and be OK.
Doesn't hesitate to go to MD or a hospital if symptoms get rapidly worse especially chest congestion complication. There are medication that can help with symptoms and keep you from getting pneumonia as well

Best of luck.

Last edited:

gazer101

I had COVID too (was tested) but recovered last week, it can get pretty bad on the worst few days (for me the sore throat was the worst), but getting lots of sleep and using any menthol-based throat drops or lozenges really helped out

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm 32 years old and have no known underlying medical issues, so hopefully I can push through it at home. I haven't been taking any Zinc Supplements.

It is my 33rd birthday this Thursday, not exactly how I was expecting to be spending it!

Last edited:
If you take the zinc lozenges be aware those will screw up your sense of taste, but as you're only 32 and healthy I expect you will get through it just fine.

I have pulse oxy meters I play with when exercising and to test saturation, they are inexpensive and may give you some peace of mind.

However if you feel really bad then see your doctor, just try to keep a positive attitude but at your age you are low risk of complications and if you are healthy you are at very low risk......The 0.2% death rate for your age group are for all people including those with health issues which I expect are the bulk of the complications.......Just saying I wish I was still 32 and healthy lol.

1610932066206.png

Last edited:
Best of luck EE, you would probably know more than me but would drinking
Vitamin C rich beverages help you like a cold?

I know it’ll only mask the symptoms if it does but curious.

Anyway, I’m about 5 hours from LA and it’s ridiculous down there. Nobody wears a mask and something like 1 in 5 has COVID-19! :(

-Alex

Best of luck EE, you would probably know more than me but would drinking
Vitamin C rich beverages help you like a cold?

I know it’ll only mask the symptoms if it does but curious.

Anyway, I’m about 5 hours from LA and it’s ridiculous down there. Nobody wears a mask and something like 1 in 5 has COVID-19! :(

-Alex
on TV '.... in L.A. in an 'average' hour 6 more die with Covid. 24/7

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just an update, as of yesterday things seem to be getting noticeably better. Still getting a few chills here and there, but no where near as bad as on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I did have a sore throat for one day, Tuesday, but that seems to have gone. Main thing now is just nasal congestion. I do have a slight cough, but this is mainly from the congestion in my nose.

Hopefully this will clear up in a few more days.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Glad everything is ok. One thing I noted big time was the fluctuations of improvement to sudden worsening again. I sure hope you are not experiencing that. Funny enough a sore throat I only had for one day too. Your symptoms sound very similar. I had chills vs fever etc. The biggest problem I had was my respiratory system and pleurisy. Which is why I give warning now even to younger people. I’m 26 in May.

Wakrah

I have heard taking D3 helps a lot when taken with zinc, that it can lesson the amount of time feeling sick if you already have it, and help prevent severe symptoms if you get your levels up high enough before getting infected. There are lots of different things which can help, but you have probably seen that info already, as well as the D3. There was also a claim taking 160 mg a day of famotidine can reduce severity, but I have not seen the results of a study to confirm this or not.