Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

bad idea to leave lasers out in the sun?

ixfd64

I accidentally left my >35 mW green laser in the car for about an hour and it became somewhat warm to the touch. It wasn't as warm as if it had been on for a few minutes, but it was warm nevertheless.

Is it a bad idea to leave lasers out in the sun in general?

I know it's generally not a good habit to leave things lying out in the sun. ;D

Amnizu

If you can destroy a VHS cassette worth 50 cents by leaving it in your car I'm sure a laser worth 100 bucks wouldnt be much trouble

It would have to be pretty damn hot. Remember, when you laser is warm on the outside from normal use, that's just the radiating heat that you're feeling. The diode itself is much hotter. Whereas when the laser is hot from external heat, the inside will be the same temp or cooler. As a precautionary measure, I would probably let it cool down before heavy use but unless your car is like 140F inside I think you'll be alright.

But, obviously, not leaving it in the car would probably be the best option  :cool:

yea i think it was around 110 outside my car when i opened the door wow smoking i think it made the board flex just enough to undo my soldering job this time it has jb weld re-inforced and a large chunk of solder ;)

Oh... man...

I just had a fully sick idea...

SOLAR POWERED LASER!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Murudai said:
Oh... man...

I just had a fully sick idea...

SOLAR POWERED LASER!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking of that on monday, Im doing some sort of solar power measurement stuff for math in school and im like "oh hello there I could probably use this panel for mah laser"

ixfd64

GooeyGus said:
It would have to be pretty damn hot. Remember, when you laser is warm on the outside from normal use, that's just the radiating heat that you're feeling. The diode itself is much hotter. Whereas when the laser is hot from external heat, the inside will be the same temp or cooler.

That makes sense.

Also, my laser was in its case, so I'm pretty sure no damage was done to it.

I know that it is also a bad idea to put lasers in freezers. However, does anyone know the "safe" temperature range for lasers?