Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

diber

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Spectrum Studio will only work with Spectrum Analysers sold by the Spectrum Studio authors.

The BW Tech units found on Ebay will not be detected. You can use the Free software that I wrote and seems to work well with the Ebay Units.

This is not correct. As described in earlier posts in this thread by several people including me, Spectrum Studio (from the Science Surplus website - version 1.3) does detect and works very well with the BW Tech units found on ebay. My post you quoted was only related to version 1.2 from the rar file from chloderic a few post back when running on my pc. The purpose of the older version was only to try to program the calibration coefficients in eeprom of the units, avoiding the need to re-enter them in Spectrum Studio each time when switching spectrometer.

diber

Mosc007, can your SW write the calib coefficients to the unit? Do you know the format of the C0, C1,... commands and of the response to the ?C command?

This is not correct. As described in earlier posts in this thread by several people including me, Spectrum Studio (from the Science Surplus website - version 1.3) does detect and works very well with the BW Tech units found on ebay. My post you quoted was only related to version 1.2 from the rar file from chloderic a few post back when running on my pc. The purpose of the older version was only to try to program the calibration coefficients in eeprom of the units, avoiding the need to re-enter them in Spectrum Studio each time when switching spectrometer.

Very sorry about that. I will have to download version 1.3 and try them on my Ebay Units.

Mosc007, can your SW write the calib coefficients to the unit? Do you know the format of the C0, C1,... commands and of the response to the ?C command?

My Software reads the Serial Number from the Units and saves the calibration data to the HDD. When you connect it looks for saved calibration data for that serial number.

I have no method to write them to the Eeprom but saving to the HDD works the same way as long as you use them in the same PC or at least copy the saved Calibration data to a diff PC.

The only information I have on the unit commands is the publically available information.

Last edited:

diber

My Software reads the Serial Number from the Units and saves the calibration data to the HDD. When you connect it looks for saved calibration data for that serial number.

I have no method to write them to the Eeprom but saving to the HDD works the same way as long as you use them in the same PC or at least copy the saved Calibration data to a diff PC.

The only information I have on the unit commands is the publically available information.

Reading the serial number would already be helpfull for me. How do you do that? The startup log i see is a “blob” of binary data (i am not even sure it is meaningfull) followed by ascii data telling the company details etc, but as far as I can see no serial number. Is it in there somewhere or is there a specific command? I don’t remember seeing one in the helpfile of Spectrum Studio (cannot check at the moment).

Reading the serial number would already be helpfull for me. How do you do that? The startup log i see is a “blob” of binary data (i am not even sure it is meaningfull) followed by ascii data telling the company details etc, but as far as I can see no serial number. Is it in there somewhere or is there a specific command? I don’t remember seeing one in the helpfile of Spectrum Studio (cannot check at the moment).

This assembly from ebay was probably anonymized. You certainly remember the phrase "“The plastic casing that had the personal company name/logo of previous owner has been removed. The rest of the hardware is intact and tested.”" in the auction. The sticker on the back below the interlock switch was also scraped off. In this context, I am not surprised that probably someone had resetted before the sales in ebay the devices for anonymization. Thus, the calibration data stored in the eprom and the individual serial number were also deleted. Originally, you could also address the control of the laser in these devices by (as usual with serial chains) switched to the next logical device by command and so has the control to the laser as a flat, for this you see the colorful ribbon cable between laser control and spectrometer , ... Arriving on this next "level", for example, the laser power can be regulated. (See, for example, http://www.ivifoundation.org/docs/scpi-99.pdf "1999 SCPI Syntax & Style"). I get here so far to clarify that all device-specific data in the ROM were present. BUT THE DATA WAS DELETED. Too bad that the individual RS232 syntax is not known to use all functions (even those of the laser).
But have a look at the SetCoefficients.exe, with this you could rewite an serialnuber to the device. When i bought the 6 devices, all of them had NO serial number in the ROM.
See again the attached pics in the upper left corner :
without serial-number="Unidentified Spectrometer"
with given Number (SetCoefficients.exe) ="Spectrometer #5142"

Attachments

• 1  laser no shild b.jpg
    1 laser no shild b.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 02 10 2018 NE.JPG
    02 10 2018 NE.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 53

I have yet to figure out a way to write the calibration coefficients to the EEPROM on my devices, but the spectrum looks very much like yours, chloderic. I will have to look into this further when I have more time. :thanks:

You need to send a command to read the Serial Number. I don't recall off hand which command. There is a document around with all the known commands. I would have to find it. Was about 12 Months ?... ago when I wrote the software.

I would expect the Serial number is read when Spectrum Studio initialises the Spectro as well. But unless you know what to look for you might not find it.

The Spectro has 2 operting modes. Bin mode and Ascii mode. Most of the settings are done in Ascii mode then it's switched to Binary mode which increses the transfer rate of the captured data by about 300%

Hi every one,
It seems from the discussions that the wavelength range is 460-670 nm.
I would like to extend it, i am thinking to change the grating inside, can someone tell me pleasem what grating is inside the spectrometer?
did any one here had changed the wavelemgth range?
Civitus

That information was posted way back toward the front of this thread. It is around 1200 to 1600 l/mm, IIRC. If you are trying to extend the range to include near UV and near IR use a 600 l/mm grating. That could get you from 330nm to 1100nm.

That information was posted way back toward the front of this thread. It is around 1200 to 1600 l/mm, IIRC. If you are trying to extend the range to include near UV and near IR use a 600 l/mm grating. That could get you from 330nm to 1100nm.

Thank you Paul :)
did any one tried this operation? from were di you get the difraction grating that fits exactly in the spectrometer?

C

Hi every one,
I would like to extend it, i am thinking to change the grating inside, can someone tell me pleasem what grating is inside the spectrometer?
Civitus

Hi, in this part there are different gratings.... in the most cases it is installedn a 1800 .....
If you have opened it you may see at all optical part some markings.
Here attached an example for a 1800 grating

Attachments

• 20180407_172758.jpg
    20180407_172758.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 65

Thank you Paul :)
did any one tried this operation? from were di you get the difraction grating that fits exactly in the spectrometer?

C

Have a look at the science surplus site... see pic i attached.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 57

Hi every one,
Civitus

You may also have a look at the sticker on the bench an will see coded the grating and slit on it .... see attached pic.

Attachments

• 20180407_175102.jpg
    20180407_175102.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 64

You may also have a look at the sticker on the bench an will see coded the grating and slit on it .... see attached pic.

Many thanks Chloderic,
very helpful, i think tha the code means as you said 1800 grating and 50micrometer slit.
I have just to measure the dimensions and order one that can fit in the place.

i think that this is may be the right one :
https://www.thorlabs.de/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=GR13-0605

some one did this before?
All the best
C

Many thanks Chloderic,
very helpful, i think tha the code means as you said 1800 grating and 50micrometer slit.
I have just to measure the dimensions and order one that can fit in the place.

i think that this is may be the right one :
https://www.thorlabs.de/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=GR13-0605

some one did this before?
All the best
C

Another info, not ALWAYS the information on the sticker are true, because I have some devices in which the stickers were pasted over by others, apparently in the course of selection for the remaining sales.See picture in the attachment.So you certainly have to actually look into the assembly to see what's really installed.

Attachments

• 20180407_180411.jpg
    20180407_180411.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 41