Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

When you receive your spectral lamps, maybe you can do the comparison and let us know the results !

I will do... interestingly I will also try a CFL..

I gather it’s temperature rating (k) will not affect / bias the spectrum ?

Hi,
Please, can you advise me from where you got these tubes?
Thank you
C

I have various discharge tubes,

I had two “neon sign” segments custom
Made as “Ar” and “Ne”

I also have some spectral tubes of Hydrogen, Helium, Neon, Argon and Xenon.

There is also a German contact /contact whom is a scientific glass blower and specifically makes Geissler Tubes and Spectral tubes. I have ordered a HgAr Spectral tube from him. They are around 50Euro plus freight.

So you're using the phosphor peaks as well? That's a bit risky, as they're not often "peaky", and several may be different or missing. None of the 3 CFLs I personally have examples of have anything of note at 620nm for example.

You may have different phosphors than the "internet examples," but mercury is literally universal.

Of course you can't use the Phoshors, they are bands, Not peaks.

A Mercury Lamp can have many lines depending on the pressure inside the lamp. A low pressure lamp only has 1 line. A High pressure lamp has many lines. Since a CFL also has Argon we get the Argon Lines in the Red region as well.

It doesn't matter which CFL lamp manufacturer you look up the lines are always the same at the same wavelengths.

One graph of Mercury lines in a Mercury Arc Lamp.

Attachments

• Mercury.jpg
    Mercury.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Hi,
Please, can you advise me from where you got these tubes?
Thank you
C

Hi Civitus,

you will find div. samples at ebay like i.e. this (also in your country) .....

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Spektral-Am...570975?hash=item3d625260df:g:7N4AAOSwvjdZP5Iw

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Alle-Edelga...421261?hash=item27dbaf44cd:g:XMgAAOxy9eVRNnV1

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hochfrequen...087182?hash=item3d017eb90e:g:9XMAAOSwpONZP9zu

These are by Lutz Neumann, whom is the German Glass Blower I’m referring in my previous post. He makes some excellent tubes. As mentioned, 50Euro plus shipping.

Last edited:

These are by Lutz Neumann, whom is the German Glass Blower I’m referring in my previous post. He makes some excellent tubes. As mentioned, 50Euro plus shipping.

Yes, so it is.

in some cases you may be able to use a power supply fron an HE-NE laser, first check the voltage .....

I have various discharge tubes,

I had two “neon sign” segments custom
Made as “Ar” and “Ne”

I also have some spectral tubes of Hydrogen, Helium, Neon, Argon and Xenon.

There is also a German contact /contact whom is a scientific glass blower and specifically makes Geissler Tubes and Spectral tubes. I have ordered a HgAr Spectral tube from him. They are around 50Euro plus freight.

Dear NightLase,
This is very interresting, can you please share his contacts or if you can send it in a private message?
Al the best
C

Many Many many thanks for the helpful information youare sharing here with us!

I will definitly contact the guy. I will have also to fixe the issue of the powersupply for these tubes .. does any one has an idea?
C

I will definitly contact the guy. I will have also to fixe the issue of the powersupply for these tubes .. does any one has an idea?
C

hello, with this dealer you can also get a power supplies, which are a bit expensive there.

But there are other possibilities, maybe you have such a plasma ball. ....
I have here as an example a few different tubes , you only have to place it at the glas.

picture 1 plasma ball ... with glass fiber spectrum (picture 7 taken)
picture 2 mercury high pressure lamp (illuminatin of the filling gas)
picture 3 deuterium lamp
picture 4 high frequency neon tube
picture 5 high frequency krypton tube
picture 6 antique high frequency device

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Dear NightLase,
This is very interresting, can you please share his contacts or if you can send it in a private message?
Al the best
C

Hey Civitus,

Lutz Neumann has an EBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Geisslerroehren

He also has the website
Hist. Glasapparate & Lehrmittel-Lutz Neumann:
Home

I have met him, and a very down to earth. His is an artisan in the craft.. very much recommend is products, yes they are a little more expensive but very much work considering the craft.

For “standard” neon signage, you may still have some around whom still produce the old fashion way and you can order a custom section.

Hope this helps

Hey Civitus,

Lutz Neumann has an EBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Geisslerroehren

He also has the website
Hist. Glasapparate & Lehrmittel-Lutz Neumann:
Home

I have met him, and a very down to earth. His is an artisan in the craft.. very much recommend is products, yes they are a little more expensive but very much work considering the craft.

For “standard” neon signage, you may still have some around whom still produce the old fashion way and you can order a custom section.

Hope this helps

Yes NightLase, i also like this guy with his products, old syle is the best .... :angel: . I have his store in my favorites. Some bugs more does not matter in all cases, but i thought, that transporting over maybe the big lake is very expensive for the other guys here ...... .... YES Neumann has very nice products, and i am german too ... :yh:

Last edited:

What concerns me about your reference is the comment by the author. He states this spectrum was taken using an Ocean Optics HR2000 and some of the peaks appear to be 6nm to 8nm off from noted lines. This brings into question, which lines and off in what direction and by how much exactly?

I used the numbers in the second column as my calibration numbers.

He also has a lot of tildes and question mark annotations. I trust none of that enough for calibration, save for the mercury lines, and his device is even off by more than necessary on those.

No, I've only removed the baffles and the filter so far.

Last edited:

hello, with this dealer you can also get a power supplies, which are a bit expensive there.

But there are other possibilities, maybe you have such a plasma ball. ....
I have here as an example a few different tubes , you only have to place it at the glas.

picture 1 plasma ball ... with glass fiber spectrum (picture 7 taken)
picture 2 mercury high pressure lamp (illuminatin of the filling gas)
picture 3 deuterium lamp
picture 4 high frequency neon tube
picture 5 high frequency krypton tube
picture 5 antique high frequency device

Thanks a lot,
These information help a lot, as a non calibrated spectrometer is useless. but the calibration lamps are expensive. I used to use the CFL lamps, but these neon bulbs are ... exciting :)
Thanks
C

Thanks a lot,
These information help a lot, as a non calibrated spectrometer is useless. but the calibration lamps are expensive. I used to use the CFL lamps, but these neon bulbs are ... exciting :)
Thanks
C

These pictures are from me and not from any search engine. I just wanted to express that you just have to look around you, to find such opportunities maybe in the garage. You can also use other emission sources, such as an old ignition coil from the car and then various arc emissions from elements such as copper iron and so on. You do not have to buy expensive equipment ... (but you CAN ... it makes happy :) )

jnrpop

C

Heres a nice little unit for sale from coherent in the US, might be possible to use it with the discharge lamps, would have to look up the model number to find the output V

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Coherent-31...997962?hash=item1caa490b0a:g:txIAAOSw7RdZxVN9

C

You can use a simple HV battery driven supply. Just wrap the one lead around the ampule and it will glow. These cheap supplies can be had for under $5.00. Just get any Chinese battery operated HV source. No need to get fancy with a He-Ne laser driver/supply.