Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Maybe you first read something like this page here, or something synonymous of other dealers or manufacturers in maybe other versions.

https://www.thorlabs.com/tutorials.cfm?tabID=0ca9a8bd-2332-48f8-b01a-7f8bf0c03d4e

now i have seen, that paul posted something and YES ... before changing optics you should do what he said, changing optics is difficulty and has to be the last what you may do if realy needed

Thank you for your valuable advice. I have two units and was ready to sacrifice one by adjusting the optics. I wont be touching my other one. It seems to still work fine after rotating the grating slightly.

Last edited:

That is correct, I have not removed the filter on mine yet :)

Looks like you have it all figured out now and yours is working better. My other 5 machines came in today and now I have 7 so I guess there is no reason not to remove it on this one :)

Removing the filter was a piece of cake. All I did was remove the lid. Loosen the tiny grub screw holding the black cylinder in place. Used some tweezers and it removed quite easily.

Removing the filter was a piece of cake. All I did was remove the lid. Loosen the tiny grub screw holding the black cylinder in place. Used some tweezers and it removed quite easily.

Might need to give that a try on mine later, sounds straightforward. Would be nice to open up the range a little bit.

You musty do that, diachi, as it opens up the whole low end of this spectrometer. Don't start adjusting optics though. You really don't want to do a complete realignment on one of these if you can help it.

Done and here is the result. I think it looks pretty good (for an untrained eye)

Attachments

• CFL_Spectral_Graph_No_Filter.png
    CFL_Spectral_Graph_No_Filter.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 57

I re-calibrated with the CFL using 487.6 , 543.6 , 546.0 , 610.8 , 620.6 ...

mPMquEu.jpg

Where did you pull those from? Only 546.1 is a mercury line.

I have pure Neon tube (neon sign) and an Argon (which has added Mercury to brighten).

Cheers

Hi,
Please, can you advise me from where you got these tubes?
Thank you
C

mPMquEu.jpg

Where did you pull those from? Only 546.1 is a mercury line.

They are from CFL spectrum graphs on the net. Many examples.

From what I read CFL tubes are Mercury/Argon.

They are from CFL spectrum graphs on the net.

So you're using the phosphor peaks as well? That's a bit risky, as they're not often "peaky", and several may be different or missing. None of the 3 CFLs I personally have examples of have anything of note at 620nm for example.

You may have different phosphors than the "internet examples," but mercury is literally universal.

Thanks!

Here is where I got my calibration numbers.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fluorescent_lighting_spectrum_peaks_labelled.gif

If you look at the chart from the link above, you can even see the little bump at 405nm which seems to be present on mine too.

What concerns me about your reference is the comment by the author. He states this spectrum was taken using an Ocean Optics HR2000 and some of the peaks appear to be 6nm to 8nm off from noted lines. This brings into question, which lines and off in what direction and by how much exactly?

He also has a lot of tildes and question mark annotations. I trust none of that enough for calibration, save for the mercury lines, and his device is even off by more than necessary on those.

Done and here is the result. I think it looks pretty good (for an untrained eye)

Very nice... did you make any adjustment to the optics at all on this unit ?

Back