Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

You could reset the device i.e. by unpluging the power an after connecting it again start spectrumstudio and let it detect the spectrometer. Than close spectrunstudio and try again to start the calibration tool. Have than a look at the left down corner if you see "connected" insteat of "not connected" .

Attachments

• Connected.JPG
    Connected.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Not Connected.JPG
    Not Connected.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 29

Thanks for the document chloderic. I tried with a serial terminal on my units and the C command does not seem to work as described in the protocol (strangely enough, the commands are acknowledged (which normally happens only for valid commands), but the response of the ?C command does not change. Furthermore, this response does not comply either. I did notice that each of the spectrometers is however giving a different response (including a CSxxxxx with xxxxx a 5 digit number which is different for each spectrometer). I think I will use this as the "discriminator"/serial number of the different spectrometers and store the coefficients on the PC as Mosc007 is doing.

Yes, you will find this CSxxxxx on the sticker at the main device also, it is the serial# .

diber

Again to this ..... is that the error you got ? Than i may have the reason ...
No, this is not the error I get, at least it looks different. The one I get gives much less info (see screenshot) and I do not think it has anything to do with the spectrometer itself (tried different things, including the power cycling). The attached error message is the only thing I see when starting up the program.

But as mentioned, that serial number is enough for my purposes, even though it would be handier if the programming of the coefficients would work.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 40

After a few hours of trying to understand this calibration commands (do not try floting-point without calculating them do integer, that will make an overrun of the register !) I have tried this test here.

First of all here the answer of a not yet recalibrated part to the command ?C:

? C
ACK
?? 4 $ - 4 ?? $ 4th 4CS02852

as a result probably the coeff 0 1 0 0 and the serial number.

then exactly this data, but with the serial number 0 , with the help of the tool SetCoefficients.exe overwritten.

C1 3? `
ACK

C2
ACK

C3? )?
ACK

"Coefficients successfully written.
Your new coefficients are 0, 1, 0, and 0
Serial Number 0
First pixel 0; Last Pixel 2047"

after interrogating this data with ?C I received:

?C
ACK
3? `? )?

these are the overwritten data but not the original strings for coeff 0 1 0 0.

it seems so, that Spectrum Studio uses this command and this EEPROM memory, but with its own definition and not the original data syntax.
probably these makers have synonymous not get out as this original syntax is and made their own. So I take that as it is and will not continue to research the context.

i'll just use these two tools and focus on the project implementation and make those components to an working device for RAMAN. Next then the optical shift of the optics in the area of ​​my interest and then i will report.

Last edited:

monkey

Hi guys, I got one of these units recently and since then I have tried to read data from spectrometer without any luck. I am using this cable for Serial to USB conversion (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-USB-to...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

Can anyone help in this regard ? Thanks in advance !

Some details are following:
1. I tried on windows 10 and 7, without any success in any of them.
2. Unable to read with Termite or Putty. Simple spectra and spectrum studio both are unable to detect spectrometer.

Last edited:

Have you read all the information concerning these spectrometers? There is a lot of it. Do you have a 5 volt supply connected to the mini jack? Did you remove the baffles and the filter from inside the optical bench and the slit respectively? I have gotten one running on Windows 8.1 using all the available software supplied in this thread. I haven't tried it on Windows 7 yet, but it ought to work as these are circa 1998 spectrometers.

monkey

Hi Paul, I am using 5 V dc adapter for powering on. Fan comes on as I power it on and LED on back panel of unit turns orange and the red after a few seconds. I am yet to open up optical bench on the spectrometer. I will do it once I get right tools. As of now, I am trying to talk with the unit without any luck. I have gone through the forum and read the discussion but was unable to find a similar problem.
What kind of RS232 to USB cable you are using ? If possible, can you please share the link for it ? I am suspecting my cable as of now.

I bought several back when this first got started, but the one I'm using is a UGreen I paid ~$9.00 for it. Sorry, I no longer have a link for it.

diber

In addition to Paul's answer: I am using a very similar cable on Windows7 without problem. Indeed: 5V connected ? Does windows recognize your cable ? When using terminal program: baud rate at 9600 (after power up of spectrometer) ? Does your serial cable work (you can check this by connecting the Tx pin with the Rx pin with a jumper wire when the serial connector is not connected to the spectrometer... anything you send is then looped back and you should see the received message in your terminal program). These spectrometers send an intro message over the serial line at power on... when connected and using terminal program, baudrate at 9600 and then a power cycle of the spectrometer should show the intro message. If you try any of this, you can maybe isolate the problem (windows/serial converter/spectrometer)...

Hi guys, I got one of these units recently and since then I have tried to read data from spectrometer without any luck. I am using this cable for Serial to USB conversion (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-USB-to...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

Can anyone help in this regard ? Thanks in advance !

Hi,
I had a serious problem when i got on from Science-Surplus, all seems okay, but the problem was that the USB-RS232 was a conterfait. It was not an originalcable, i suffered a pain in the ... to make it work. but, later i got one from Amazon, and all is okay now.
So, i would suggest to try a real not a copy of USB-RS232.

this is just my proper experience, may be there are other problems than the USB-RS232.

C

I've also suffered great pains dealing with counterfeit USB cables from China in the past, some of the software made to run with them will not work correctly without being genuine, due to anti-counterfeit measures built into the real chips.

Hello all,

I recently also acquired the bio scanner module. The laser is working at over 5mW measured.

I have opened the spectrometer and removed the baffles and filter. I have now re-calibrated the coefficients using lasers.. I am looking at obtaining a HgAr Spectral tube. Current operation appears fairly accurate.

I also noticed some of you have been having issues with RS-232 to USB converters... I have a number of quality converters, all appear to use the “Prolific” chipset. I have had no issues at this stage communicating with the spectrometer.

A question I do have, there is a small ribbon cable between the spectrometer board and the laser controller... does anyone know what signals this carries ?

Any details on the other headers on the spectrometer board ?

Hello all,

A question I do have, there is a small ribbon cable between the spectrometer board and the laser controller... does anyone know what signals this carries ?

Any details on the other headers on the spectrometer board ?

Hi,
I think that if some one can get us the user manual of the original apparatus, or how it was working, we can figure out what those things are for.

C

Hey everyone, I picked up two of these units from ebay and one of them was marked for parts only. I want to go through these units and do the mods listed here as well as make sure the laser optics is aligned correctly. I know what a good beam looks like for laser pointers and laser engravers but I have no idea what a good beam is supposed to look like for these machines and going through fiber optics. Does it need to be collimated or focused to a point at some known distance?

If I understand what I read here, it sounds like the answer to my next question is probably no (or at least not without some serious modifications) but I'll ask just in case. I make graphene at home and I would love to be able to test some of my samples. Is this even remotely possible (with mods) or is this just beyond the reach of these machines?

Thanks
John

Hey everyone, I picked up two of these units from ebay and one of them was marked for parts only. I want to go through these units and do the mods listed here as well as make sure the laser optics is aligned correctly. I know what a good beam looks like for laser pointers and laser engravers but I have no idea what a good beam is supposed to look like for these machines and going through fiber optics. Does it need to be collimated or focused to a point at some known distance?

If I understand what I read here, it sounds like the answer to my next question is probably no (or at least not without some serious modifications) but I'll ask just in case. I make graphene at home and I would love to be able to test some of my samples. Is this even remotely possible (with mods) or is this just beyond the reach of these machines?

Thanks
John
Hi, what do you want to test exactly ? Is it Raman, what you want to realize ?

Hi, what do you want to test exactly ? Is it Raman, what you want to realize ?

yes, Raman.

For one, I would like to see how many layers are in the graphene that I make. The process I use is supposed to be good for 1-3 layers and I'm curious if I'm anywhere near that.

For others, I think it would be cool to sample some liquids and determine the chemicals in them. For example, food dye colors in fruit drinks. Others could be sampling a plant leaf.

I'm not really sure what all can be measured within the spectrum that these machines seem to be limited to.

Honestly, it is just something fun to mess around with and see if I can get it to work some-what decently. Learning what I can do with it will be next :)