Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi ,
I received Avatars Sl SS laser yesterday and opened the box to find out that only the battery tube and the CU sink was the only things wrapped in a piece of binder paper. All other parts were rolling around in the box. Ok so i opened the box only to find that
1, The collar for the sink was dented, ( i repaired that no problem )
2, There was no driver sent with the build ( contact board soldered in the pill )
3, Tested the diode , diode is DOA...
he said there was a driver in the pill i said its no driver its a contact board,
So whoever built this connected the contact board to the diode direct and killed the diode. So her are the pics of what i received you gotta love this one folks.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

GSS

This build was said to be working when the Avavtar received it?

Last edited:
Hi, Well this one points towards that he or whoever built this for him didn't know anything about building a laser,
Its obvious that he connected the contact board to the diode direct and killed the diode that i tested before i went any further with the repair.:tsk:
Some people are not supposed to have these things , its a shame this is just one of the reasons that no one reads up on things any more or just plain doesn't understand ..
I pm him numerous time with this issue and he just got back to me and said .. Any Update You have to be kidding me OMG.. So i PM'ed him this morning saying that he now needs to Go to DTR shop order a M140 and a driver set to 1.8a and And send it to me ,i will still fix it for him or if he does not want it fixed i will send it back. Well he is not posting on this thread so far so just have to wait and see .

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It looks like you've got some real P.O.S. build quality there, Lifetime. I'm sure you'll get it up and running for him. :beer:
Here I've been wasting money on drivers all this time, could've saved a lot of money by going "direct"! :crackup:

HiBT,
Thats funny you should say that When i opened the box and all the components were banging around with a few pieces of loose leaf paper that was the first sign what was to come ..
Well the only way he is going to get this fixed is Go to DTR and order a M140 with a Driver set to1.8A's And have him send it to me and i will still fix it for him . If not i will be sending it back to him the same way i received it . What more can i say , all i can think is i feel bad for that poor M140 getting smacked with all that unregulated current poor diode ..

rich:)

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I'm thinking maby you should just send it back to Avatar. Lack of communication is iffy and the way it was sent just boggles me as he has really doesn't understand what involved to keep a heathly laser on top of the crappy build he recieved.
I know you are dying to fix it with all good intentions but hope it doesn't back fire on you.
You do post alot of in progress pic's which is great and assuring and for your benefit.
Lets see what come of this:thinking:

Hi,
Just waiting for a response from him i sent him a PM what wants to do with this fix it or send it back so only time will tell . Whats funny is he is on the same EST that i am whats the problem to a reply he is so interested , I just don't get it . I can se if he was like on PST and theres a 3 hour behind but thats not the case here ..Going to work now ill check it out around 4PM when i get home

Pman

Reminds me of the sci-first units I've repaired. Yes they came with a driver but the drivers were all the cheapest LED drivers you could find. The wiring was terrible and I don't even want to talk about the soldering. Apparently those buying them didn't bother actually checking out how they were built or they would have understood why he could sell so cheap. Maybe when he started out he took more time to build them properly and then I just ended up working on ones that were slapped together as quickly as possible. I'm actually awaiting a diode to repair another one at the moment as cheaply as possible. Ordered an M140 from ABarnett a couple days ago so hopefully I'll get it before going to see my daughter again in the Adirondacks this Sunday. Sent him a message but haven't heard from him.
I've also been inundated with requests for free repairs and to build things for others and it's not what I do. What I mean is when I volunteered to repair the not working sci stuff it was supposed to be for units that came DOA or something blew from normal use. What I've ended up repairing is either dropped or batteries put in the wrong way. I'm a really nice guy and that's OK to a point but somehow word got around for everyone to ask me to fix everything and anything, upgrade parts and build whatever from scratch. It was never my intention to do those things and because I'm a nice guy and like to help people I get to feel bad trying to explain in a nice way that already broke the rules that were set for repairing the sci-fi ones to begin with.

BT, you just have to choose your batteries correctly so that there's so much sag that the diode doesn't blow lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Till you had posted a little while ago I didn't realize you were still getting bombarded with SciFi fix requests. It was slow in the beginning.
Your kindness is being taken for weakness from some or at least they think that weakness is there:whistle:
The good builder's like you Pete can sure play detective when looking at why a laser broke:beer:
I'm hoping you've set the cut off point on fixing SciFi's builds by now:)

Hi
Yes it makes me wonder why folks buy lasers and then treat them hard. These are fine electronic devices and should be handled sadly and with tender loving care to last. Some don't read up enough to build a quality laser and wind up regretting it in the end and look for someone to bail them out.sometimes I wonder why bother sat all but it's in my heart to try to do right.'

Garoq

Rich, it appears that he may have been sent a battery contact board and pill module by mistake instead of a 1.8A driver and pill module. Apparently the customer didn't know the difference, but you will be receiving a package from us that will help fix him up. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Gary first of all would like to thank you again for your outstanding customer service , Bare none... You made actually two people very happy . Keep up the wonderful job with Survival Lasers , speechless..... Oh I'm so sorry I'm going to have to REP U +

GSS

Glad all worked out well but still curious who initially built the laser.
It shouldn't be embarrassing as we all make mistakes and are here to learn:)