Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Austin had fog....I capitalized.

IsaacT

Hello friends

I recently obtained my first DSLR camera through a trade. Goodbye shitty windows 8 laptop. Haha. So I had to wake up early and lo and behold there was a very nice fog everywhere. Well, my laserist cogs got to turnin' and I couldn't help but try out my new camera. Everything was shot in RAW and then converted to JPEG at 4608x3072 resolution.

Camera: Nikon D3100
Lasers: PGL-III-C 532nm 800mW, My DIY 473 100mW

If any of you camera guru's out there have any advice I would love to hear it. I tried to keep my ISO as low as I could by using exposure times of 1/2 sec to 1 sec and a tripod. My Aperture size was 5.6f or so. I think all in all the colors came out pretty true to life, although I notice that 473 tends to purple down the lower the light environment is. I used a flash in a few to help with this.

Pics(resized for forum etiquette):

Obviously I am no where near the amazingness of people like Brucemir or DJNY but once I get the settings down and every shot I get shows the best color representation possible I will move on to trying out beamsplitters and mirrors. All of the above were shot with no fog except the third picture of my 473, which was shot after I had lit a match.

Thanks for looking, I hope it was enjoyable :beer:
-Isaac

A nice start to your laser photography. Keep on shooting and learning. Sent you a PM

IsaacT

Got it, and thanks for the great constructive criticism. I guess I am going to need to create a space where I can really control the light. I tried some of the settings you suggested and here is one of the results:

I do think it has better color capture. That was taken with
ISO 800
Exposure: 10s
Aperture: F/9

Once I get a space made that I have better control over I think I will be able to do more. Too much light leaking through the blinds I think.

Thanks again!
-Isaac

Last edited:
The 473 looks like a 473! You could even drop the ISO to 200 and expose it even longer. You will have less grain and noise in your pics that way. And as far as light leaking in, takes some shots in the same area at night.

Last edited:

gismo

Congrats on the Nikon DSLR, WBS:beer:. Your portrait shots didn't turn that bad at all, some of the 473nm were kinda unfocused, but I'm sure under Bruce's guidance you'll eventually meet great photo results worth of wider forum audience attention:). The multimedia section calls for some more beam pics and with your patience & timing you shall provide this forum with very watchable laser scenery!

sinner

Dat 473 , epic laser is epic. :beer: +1

Err. must spread some first!

Last edited:

IsaacT

Thanks guys : tonight I am gonna break out the diffraction filter and some FS mirrors. I am excited. Time to charge the batteries!