Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Astral Driver For Sale - Boost, Buck, Buck-Boost, Linear, & Etc

I don't tend to use flashlight hosts, don't really care if it's larger (up to 3x2cm would probably be ok). I really wish we had a decent boost analog modulated driver.

I'm in agreement with that, I don't need all of my regulator boards to fit inside a 12 mm module. I also would like to see a modulated driver too, lots of ideas of things I want, but to have some of them, probably would need to design them myself, not enough market for us to get them made cheap like these.

Well, for me right now, these need to fit inside a module and they work fine for these Sharp single mode laser diodes. They are the perfect answer to what are we gonna use besides nano boost drivers now that we can't get them any longer.

Yeah,

Fulfilling everyone's need is difficult,
Some require a very small board with high output,
Some emphasizes on the ability to externally control the output (like TTL/PWM/Analog modulation)
Some want all above with cheap price.

while the raw material (IC, resistor, potentiometer, capacitor) is relatively cheap
but PCB, assembly, and import + shipping cost is very expensive relative to individual board :(

for example, importing a $10 components from Digikey cost me a total of about $100 until it got in my hand :(
about $90 goes to the shipping and import tax.
also, the "2oz" PCB and it's shipping+tax could be about $60.

Unfeasible for non bulk production i think.

[EDIT]
The upcoming driver, SuperDrive V, buck up to 5.5A can be modulated by PWM/TTL :D

Last edited:
The max input voltage would be 18V
And, the output voltage, it's to be confirmed. At least it will be able to output up to 8V depending on the current output. 8V comes from web's spec. While datasheet didn't say anything about max Vout.

Best case scenario would be the Vout will be able to go up about 75% of Vin.

Thread updated!

New driver available:
SuperDrive V

This is a generic 5A current regulated laser diode buck driver

Super_Drive_V.png

Super_Drive_V_Completed.jpg

SPECS:
  • Topology: Buck (When operating, Vin must be above Vout/diode Vf)
  • Vin: 5 - 18V (tested up to ~19.5V input)
  • Vout: 2.5 - 8V (tested up to ~13V output)
  • Iout: 1.1A - 5.2A+ (depends on Vout)
  • Size: 15*10mm
  • Features:
    • Current regulated
    • Adjustable current
    • Soft start (internal)
    • Thermal shutdown
    • Thin PCB with lots of vias, maximizing heat transfer from top side to bottom side.
    • Component mounted and soldered using automated assembly machine, minimizing human error.
    • Continuous ground/negative
Test data: at discussion thread

Price: $16.9 per unit, quantity discount available, PM me!

Sounds pretty good. How hot does it get and at what current should it be heat sinked? What is the minimum current it can be set for? Should heat sinking be on the I.C. or the back of the board?

I ran it continuously without heatsink at 2.4A
The heat generated is "pretty normal" "touchable by hand"

At 2A output, it just felt warm.
In conclusion, 2.4A without heatsink is fine i think.

Minimum current would be about 1.1A-1.3A depends on the tolerance of each potentiometer :D

The IC sides should be heatsinked.
Better if the IC side is molded/submerged completely using a thermal epoxy or thermal silicon glue

I hate drowning anything in thermal epoxy as it isn't a very good thermal conductor. I prefer sinking it to aluminum or copper, depending on the host I am using and what it is made of.

Doesn't sinking it to aluminum/copper surface involves drowning the IC's side of the driver's PCB?

Except if you meant by drowning is just by molding it into some container, then i agree with that having an inefficient thermal conduction.

BTW, UPDATE:
SuperDrive V just sold out 50 of 100 units!

Yes, by "molded or submerged completely" it take it you meant to drown the IC in epoxy only. I use as thin a strip as I can to adhere it to the metal.

That was fast. I wonder if it was DTR that bought up so many at once. Congratulations.

UPDATE again:
Sold 20 more, now only 30 units remaining! :eek:

I see what you meant.
Btw, it's not DTR who bought those 50 and 20 units ;)

Might be time to make some more as these may not be around for long. I don't have a need for any right now, so I will be waiting. Someone is either planning on a lot of builds or to resell these at a profit.

The 20 is just a guy making too much $ working for the government in Qatar who wants to stock up, the 50, I donno.

That makes me want to work in Qatar lol.
A bit tired working as a scientist in here :crackup:

let me know should there is an opportunity! :shhh: