Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Assembly help, housings etc.

Not sure why you bought them if you had no idea of what they are nor a definite use them -- perhaos cheap for a lot of them?
You get what you pay for most of the time generally speaking
Yes just drill a 6mm hole or holes in whatever material and push one into it to hold it or just use as is.
A 5mw $0.30 TO $0.50 red laser is not worth putting in a pointer host housing really. If you really want one in a housing buy a $3 cat toy or keyring laser fully assembled.

Forget eBay for a moment and cheapest poor quality stuff .
Have a look here to quickly get an education on what laser diodes, drivers, modules and lenses all of which are needed to make a pointer are: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/ .
You need a host/housing for the complete assembled module with diode, driver, and lens--nobody runs just a 1500mW module by itself without a heat sink of some description because you will quickly destroy it with thermal runaway overheat. . Use a host with a heat sink for a pointer

PS a host from Lifetime17 is as good as it is going to get---excellent quality and very reasonable price
I bought a couple early on because they were 635nm instead of 650nm and as mentioned - cheap.

You can drill a small hole in anything and wire them direct, but as mentioned other than being small, they aren't worth much. (pre made with worthless driver and no adjustment)

Don;t know if it was discussed yet, but there are basically 3 sizes of diode that are made to fit the 12x30 modules, so they are used a lot and for many projects, although there have been other options in the past. (Meredith modules, Kryton Grooves, DTR heatsinks)

MOST diodes you buy will be one of those three sizes (3.8, 5.6 or 9 mm) so you need the right sized module for the diode you have.

Most hosts are designed to fit these "AixiZ Modules"

I chime in on quality hosts from Lifetime17.

tony23

Not sure why you bought them if you had no idea of what they are nor a definite use them -- perhaos cheap for a lot of them?
You get what you pay for most of the time generally speaking
Yes just drill a 6mm hole or holes in whatever material and push one into it to hold it or just use as is.
A 5mw $0.30 TO $0.50 red laser is not worth putting in a pointer host housing really. If you really want one in a housing buy a $3 cat toy or keyring laser fully assembled.

Have a look here to quickly get an education on what laser diodes, drivers, modules and lenses all of which are needed to make a pointer
You need a host/housing for the complete assembled module with diode, driver, and lens--nobody runs just a 1500mW module by itself without a heat sink of some description because you will quickly destroy it with thermal runaway overheat. . Use a host with a heat sink for a pointer

PS a host from Lifetime17 is as good as it is going to get---excellent quality and very reasonable price
Yeah, they were cheap, and as I said, I'm at the "don't know what I don't know" stage. I had no idea about the size differences or how specific housings/hosts could be. At this point, it's just messing with some junk to have some idea how things go together. Just from the responses here I have already learned a lot.

I expect to be following up on that host shortly.

(wow, I'm not allowed to post links yet, and apparently it picks up links that I'm quoting just as well...)

tony23

Ok so I'm ordering the host and going to try putting everything together once I have that. Again, thanks for all the info, I have a much better idea what to do now!

Hi Tony,
Ok your all done with the Blue 501B host a few pics for you.
Rich:)
071FC74C-CBAE-4E9F-89C6-1C411836144C.jpeg81EE044E-AE41-4440-AC6B-34ACEAE8248E.jpeg45F5C366-9CB8-421F-B026-E4FA790E0776.jpeg