Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arrived !!!

I talked with some electricians here at work they told me you can make a anti-static wrist-band just use a wire to your wrist then ground the other to an earthed gound - worked for me :eek:

IgorT

robjdixon said:
where can you get/make a wristband to stop static?

You just need some metal touching your skin, with a wire going to something grounded. It can be the grounding pin in an electrical socket, but if you don't know what you're doing, you could kill yourself.

Radiators are usually grounded. So if the wire has an alligator clip at the end, you just clip it onto some exposed metal.

But the best thing to do is to only use battery power to supply current regulated drivers. That way, static has no path to discharge. If you do both batteries and wrist strap, even better.

If I'm not mistaken, you should add a 1Mohm resistor to the wire if you're doing it your self.

IgorT

FireMyLaser said:
The 25 ohm resistor (I use 15 ohm, just in case if got a freak) and 100 ohm pot is the way to go with blu-ray. Threshold current (when it start to lase) + 10mA for the best result.

Each and every BR diode is different. ;)

Yeah, but for someone, who is building a laser for the first time, i really wouldn't recommend having the max current limited to more than 50mA in a Blue Ray.

First he needs to learn how pots work, and behave. Towards the end, a small change makes a big current difference! So if anything goes wrong, it's better to have the max current safely limited. If it shouldn't lase, he can still replace a resistor.

When i make a driver i sometimes put in an 8 pin DIP socket, with legs on each side soldered together, and just stick resistors in there. If an odd value is needed, i can stick them in in parallel.

IgorT

FireMyLaser said:
If I'm not mistaken, you should add a 1Mohm resistor to the wire if you're doing it your self.

If you only connect it to a radiator, it is not really necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

It slows the discharge a bit, but can protect you.

Here you go....

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• LM317_blue_ray_components01.jpg
    LM317_blue_ray_components01.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 669