Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arrests?

Just finished my first, 1W 445 build about an hour ago. It's insane. But, I can't help but feel paranoid shining it at the sky in my back yard. I'm in a medium density area.

Every time I hear a car start up, or anything else, I feel like it's a 5-0 pinpointing my house to come hassle/arrest me. :whistle:

Am I being crazy?

Has anybody been hassled/arrested while responsibly enjoying one of these high-powered lasers?

_Theoretically_ you could be put in federal prison, right? :anyone:

PS: I live in California.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

I dont think people have been arrested but rather just warned. Aslong as your not shining your laser on cars/planes or any living thing then your not going to go to prison ;)

There was a story of a guy here on LPF who's friends in an astronomy club accidentaly shined a laser onto a cop car and they didnt get the laser confiscated or anything like that, they were just warned.

Better safe than sorry....
You never know when any air craft could be flying
overhead...

Jerry

There was a story of a guy here on LPF who's friends in an astronomy club accidentaly shined a laser onto a cop car and they didnt get the laser confiscated or anything like that, they were just warned.

IIRC the laser in that story was a 5mW green.

Personally I'm also rather paranoid about shining lasers in the sky. So I usually do it very late at night, and usually don't keep the lasers on for too long.

There are no specific laws regarding shining a laser into the sky, as long as you're not doing a commercial laser show. It is only an issue if you're shining it at people, cars or especially planes.

If you are confronted, just be very clear that you are only pointing into the clear, open, empty, sky, and are being very careful about it.

There are no specific laws regarding shining a laser into the sky, as long as you're not doing a commercial laser show. It is only an issue if you're shining it at people, cars or especially planes.

This is completely false. Please do more reading before giving advice.

High powered lasers are not suppose to be taken out of the house. There is an $11,000 fine if you get caught shinning high powered lasers in the sky. No jail time that I've heard of yet.

There is an $11,000 fine if you get caught shinning high powered lasers in the sky. No jail time that I've heard of yet.

There is a big difference between shining a laser in the sky, and shining a laser at an airplane or helicopter cockpit. That's where the 11k FAA fine comes into play.

I'll dig up the thread I was referring to.

Where are you getting that it's illegal to shine a laser into the clear, empty, sky though?

Its illegal to shine anything over 5mW outside, period. The only reason why we can own high powered lasers is that they are suppose to be used in a lab situation only. One can say a room in their house is a lab, so there is a small loop hole there.

Its illegal to shine anything over 5mW outside, period. The only reason why we can own high powered lasers is that they are suppose to be used in a lab situation only. One can say a room in their house is a lab, so there is a small loop hole there.

Can you please site a source?

If I'm wrong, fine, I don't know everything, crap I don't even know a .0009% of everything, I just want to know some things with certainty.

The thread was pretty old, 2010 I think, so it could be out of date. I'll dig it up.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between shining a laser in the sky, and shining a laser at an airplane or helicopter cockpit. That's where the 11k FAA fine comes into play.

I'll dig up the thread I was referring to.

Where are you getting that it's illegal to shine a laser into the clear, empty, sky though?

Is there something you are not sharing with us.....:thinking:

Do you have a mobile Aircraft Tracking Radar or a direct link to the
local Airport Control Tower... or perhaps just supernatural vision....:thinking:

Can you be absolutely 100% sure there are no aircraft in the vicinity...:thinking:

Better safe than sorry kind of sums it up for me...
Then again.... I'm not you....:beer:

Jerry

Can you please site a source?

If I'm wrong, fine, I don't know everything, crap I don't even know a .0009% of everything, I just want to know some things with certainty.

The thread was pretty old, 2010 I think, so it could be out of date. I'll dig it up.

You have to do your own homework my friend.

Why do you think PP stopped all payments for lasers over 5mW, but you can import lab lasers? Also why eBay wont let you sell over 5mW lasers, but you can buy a 300mW lab laser?

Last edited:
I have not personally looked up the laws in the US but from what I've read on this forum most people seem to think its OK to shine any laser into the sky, as long as you don't shine them at any aircraft. I could be wrong. Just my $.02

Do you have a mobile Aircraft Tracking Radar or a direct link to the
local Airport Control Tower... or perhaps just supernatural vision....:thinking:

No, and I wish:p

Can you be absolutely 100% sure there are no aircraft in the vicinity...:thinking:

100% - No absolutely not. To withing reason, yes.

Better safe than sorry kind of sums it up for me...
Then again.... I'm not you....:beer:

I agree completely, but I wasn't aware that there is a specific US law or regulation that says pointing lasers at the sky, by itself, is illegal.

I'll find the thread that game me this apparently misguided idea:oops:

You have to do your own homework my friend.

Why do you think PP stopped all payments for lasers over 5mW, but you can import lab lasers? Also why eBay wont let you sell over 5mW lasers, but you can buy a 300mW lab laser?

I'll do some homework tonight.

Last edited:
I have not personally looked up the laws in the US but from what I've read on this forum most people seem to think its OK to shine any laser into the sky, as long as you don't shine them at any aircraft. I could be wrong. Just my $.02

You are correct. Chances are you will not get in trouble. But its still illegal. Also most people on this forum import high powered lasers, but that's illegal too. Once again, chances are you will not get caught. But people have.

So it is legal to own a laser for scientific research. which is how most people on this forum should look at it. They are in possession of a tool not a toy. most people that get arrested or fined due to laser use is because they weren't treating the lasers properly in the first place (aka shining it at an aircraft).

So it is legal to own a laser for scientific research. which is how most people on this forum should look at it. They are in possession of a tool not a toy. most people that get arrested or fined due to laser use is because they weren't treating the lasers properly in the first place (aka shining it at an aircraft).

Exactly.

And they are not toys. They are entertaining, but by no means a toy. I'm very relaxed about most things, but with lasers I try to take full precautions. Its not something to take lightly. Anything over 300mW is dangerous. With 1W you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Even outside.

Last edited:
Just finished my first, 1W 445 build about an hour ago. It's insane. But, I can't help but feel paranoid shining it at the sky in my back yard. I'm in a medium density area.

Every time I hear a car start up, or anything else, I feel like it's a 5-0 pinpointing my house to come hassle/arrest me. :whistle:

Am I being crazy?

Has anybody been hassled/arrested while responsibly enjoying one of these high-powered lasers?

_Theoretically_ you could be put in federal prison, right? :anyone:

PS: I live in California.

You live in California. Oh man, that's just to bad for you. Well here are the dirty details. Are you ready ?

Here's the low down. There is no federal law prohibiting a hobbyist from shining a laser into the sky. Neither are there any state or local jurisdiction laws preventing the same. The airspace above your head is under the control of the federal government that's why. The only way you would be put in jail and fined would be if you intentionally interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft; even if that aircraft is on the ground.

Everything I've just said is freely available for you to read at the appropriate websites. I suggest you do so so you don't spread misinformation like Tech_junkie. Tech_junkie is poorly informed - period.