Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon Ion head

Link

This is my new Argon, pics of inside of head for the purpose of identification of parts and head I think its actually a single line argon as per the model number on the back... :p

Attachments

• 20091006132441.jpg
    20091006132441.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20091006132457.jpg
    20091006132457.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 20091006132509.jpg
    20091006132509.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20091006132625.jpg
    20091006132625.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20091006133325.jpg
    20091006133325.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20091006133358.jpg
    20091006133358.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20091006133314.jpg
    20091006133314.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 83

Yep. That is a nice single line argon you got yourself there - it is 488nm

daguin

This is my new Argon, pics of inside of head for the purpose of identification of parts and head I think its actually a single line argon as per the model number on the back... :p

I thought you said that you were getting two (and another time 4) color lines :thinking:

Did I misunderstand? I KNOW that we have talked about how to split the beam into its color lines.

Peace,
dave

Link

I thought you said that you were getting two (and another time 4) color lines :thinking:

Did I misunderstand? I KNOW that we have talked about how to split the beam into its color lines.

Peace,
dave

Dave,

This is whats -really- confusing me, earlier today I could clearly see 4 lines ranging from a greeny-blue colour to purple, then i fired it up again and only got purple and greeny-blue with no in-betweens...:wtf:

daguin

Dave,

This is whats -really- confusing me, earlier today I could clearly see 4 lines ranging from a greeny-blue colour to purple, then i fired it up again and only got purple and greeny-blue with no in-betweens...:wtf:

If you are getting more than just the 488nm (cyan) line, then the tube has been replaced with an ML tube. It is still not healthy, but it is not the original tube.

Peace,
dave

Link

That answers one of my questions about interchange ability of JDSU tubes of similar models.

So all that remains is to determine if it’s my remote that’s not giving me max output or if it’s the tube on the blink, any ideas where I can tweak the mirrors on the head, I’m thinking the two small screws at the anode and cathode end but I’m not so sure, the one at the front looks like it’s been turned a slight amount :)

- Link

daguin

That answers one of my questions about interchange ability of JDSU tubes of similar models.

So all that remains is to determine if it’s my remote that’s not giving me max output or if it’s the tube on the blink, any ideas where I can tweak the mirrors on the head, I’m thinking the two small screws at the anode and cathode end but I’m not so sure, the one at the front looks like it’s been turned a slight amount :)
- Link

This more of an "art." The mirrors are "hard sealed" onto the tube. You have to "bend" the tube end to adjust the mirrors. It is not easy and the tube is pumping some high voltage on those ends.

If you "lose" the laser beam, the chances of getting it back again are slim for someone with no experience.

<Deja Vu> Enjoy it for what it is. Keep your eyes peeled for another used laser.

Peace,
dave

Link

This more of an "art." The mirrors are "hard sealed" onto the tube. You have to "bend" the tube end to adjust the mirrors. It is not easy and the tube is pumping some high voltage on those ends.

If you "lose" the laser beam, the chances of getting it back again are slim for someone with no experience.

<Deja Vu> Enjoy it for what it is. Keep your eyes peeled for another used laser.

Peace,
dave

haha, I will dave, I will :) Just always interested in getting more out of everything :p

I guess I should learn more before messing :)

daguin

haha, I will dave, I will :) Just always interested in getting more out of everything :p

I guess I should learn more before messing :)

Also, the tubes from "box-type" JDSU lasers are interchangeable with other "box-type" JDSU lasers.

The tubes from JDSU "cylinder-type" lasers are interchangeable with other JDSU "cylinder-type" lasers.

However, the tubes from the box-type lasers are NOT interchangeable with the tubes from cylinder type lasers.

Which brings me to a shout in the dark -- Does anyone out there have a JDSU 2211 (box-type) laser that has a burned out or really sucky tube in it? I need a 2211 style laser for parts

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Link

Oh yeah, on the first picture theres two pots, I'm relatively sure you cant "pot" mod an argon, but what are they for if anyone knows? and theres a large magnet next to the tube, is it worth trying to put another on the other side for boosting it?

daguin

Oh yeah, on the first picture theres two pots, I'm relatively sure you cant "pot" mod an argon, but what are they for if anyone knows? and theres a large magnet next to the tube, is it worth trying to put another on the other side for boosting it?

You need to read the stuff at the link to "SAM's Laser FAQ" that I sent you.

Peace,
dave

*edited* "read" into "need" <sheesh>

Last edited:

Link

Then you need to read more (or again). ;)

Peace,
dave

Again I think, quite a lot of info to take in at once!! :) One thing I'm a little concearned about is the BeO or beryllium oxide, Its mentioned in there as never to chip at, file away or cut the BeO but what about everyday handleing of the BeO, as it is, is it safe whilst its solid? should I be wearing a bio hazard suit to take out or otherwise mess with the tube (if I ever get to a stage where I'm ready to remove the tube for whatever reason) only Wiki has very little info on the substance (just details how ill the stuff can make you) and I'm a little concearned...

daguin

Again I think, quite a lot of info to take in at once!! :) One thing I'm a little concearned about is the BeO or beryllium oxide, Its mentioned in there as never to chip at, file away or cut the BeO but what about everyday handleing of the BeO, as it is, is it safe whilst its solid? should I be wearing a bio hazard suit to take out or otherwise mess with the tube (if I ever get to a stage where I'm ready to remove the tube for whatever reason) only Wiki has very little info on the substance (just details how ill the stuff can make you) and I'm a little concearned...

The tube is sealed. There is only a problem if you break one open

It is very hard to break it open.

Peace,
dave