Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arghhhhh!!!! I snapped the gnd pin off my GB LD!!!

Argghhh!!

I was having so much fun as well....

It must be metal fatigue... it just went!
It was my only SenKat GB Sony 16x Diode!

@ UK Folks: Does anyone have a spare GB LD lying around that I can buy off them, and they could post to me asap! For the price you paid + 10%?
I can't bear waiting another 4 weeks for my next few from the GB.

Is there any way to solder it back on?
I've tried but it just won't stick - the solder is practically repelled. And I've tried cleaning it.

As it's the ground pin, could I just attach it to any part of the gold bottom, or does it HAVE to be that pin (which is no longer there!)

Senkat!!!! I need those 2 more from the next GB!

Dan :)

S

SenKat

Re: Arghhhhh!!!! I snapped the gnd pin off my GB L

Just solder to anything on the back of the diode, with the exception being the other pins, that is :p You will be good, as it is case negative - or you can simply wedge a small wire in alongside the diode when you insert it into the module ?

OR just use the case as your neg input !!! It should have a good connection to the heatsink. Connect the capacitor between the + lead and the heatsink. Soldering to the case may get it too hot.

Mike

Will Do!

Thanks guys.....
I think a blob of glue from a glue gun will help to keep it in place after I've soldered it!

Ta :D

Dan :)

Uh Dan -- Soldered it to what ?? If you have a good solder joint, you don't need glue. There's a trick to fast soldering in cases like this and you don't know the magic. Please be careful -- I think you still have a good LD.

Mike

Benm

If you solder, solder something to the brass case of the aixiz module when the diode is not in it. That will make a fine ground connection for you.

Soldering onto the diode itself would be a bad idea, these things can't take toasting like that.

S

SenKat

Put a small scratch on the diode housing (the aixiz module) and solder your wire to that.

Things

man that is some good macro shots you have in there!!! how did you get the top off the diode? i have a dead GB diode here, and want to have a look inside???

Yea just use the Aixiz module as your ground. Will work just fine.

chimo

It's all described in the thread. :) I used a dremel w/ a diamond wheel.

things said:
man that is some good macro shots you have in there!!! how did you get the top off the diode? i have a dead GB diode here, and want to have a look inside???

Things

oh i just noticed! thanks!

as others have said, the case will be the negative. you could just drill a small hole through the back end of module and attach a wire through it, twist the wire onto itself in a loop and solder the wire. (remove the diode housing section to avoid overheating the diode)

if it is twisted tightly, and soldered around the entire wire surface, the contact should be good.

you could then screw the diode housing section of the module (with the positive lead soldered on and electrically isolated) to the back section - make sure to do this AFTER soldering since there will be lots of heat

Daedal

Let us know if the LD is still alive... seems to me like you really cooked that sucker good trying to solder onto it ;D

Gl though and I hope it still works;
DDL

Comidt

Thanks Chimo, i never checkedd that post, finally i can restore life to my two diodes ;D