Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are your lasers insured?

I'm starting to accumulate at least a thousand dollars in lasers. If somebody broke into my home and stole them...would my homeowners policy even remotely cover them? Normally, I keep them in a gun safe...but not all the time.

Is this really a consideration?

I don't know if homeowners insurance would cover them or not, with insurance it's best to keep photos of anything of value and if possible a record of when and where you purchased it and the price you paid. I have never had insurance, and I have been burglarized 3 times in my lifetime. I am 53 so I guess once every 17 or 18 years isn't too bad. One was a very small loss, one was of significant value, and one was a very big loss. Today if someone ever tries to break in while I am home they are likely to loose their life.

Alan

Grix

I have a feeling that even on the off chance that my apartment gets broken into, the cumulative cost of the insurance, plus deductible, would be higher than the value of everything stolen.

Last edited:
Photos, receipts are all you can do. I had crackheads break into my truck and take all my nail guns and other tools. After all said and done I got a hundred dollars after the deductible. :( the lasers are the least of your worries. But since they are not common they will be easy to track should they turn up at a burglar's place.

I have a feeling that even on the off chance that my apartment gets broken into, the cumulative cost of the insurance, plus deductible, would be higher than the value of everything stolen.

Yes that's exactly why I don't have any type of insurance. If you only need it once in 18 years you are going to pay more on it than what you will loose, and I don't have much extra money to spend. I'll take my chances. Here where I live I should have earthquake insurance too, but I am not buying any, here that is a separate thing you can add to your homeowners or renters policy. Here in the U.S. there are certain types of insurance that are required, anyone with a motor vehicle has to have insurance, doctors and dentists have to get malpractice insurance, and businesses with a retail location/office/warehouse are required to have liability insurance. I lived at a marina for 3 years that required everyone to have liability insurance but they never asked me for proof of insurance so I never had it. Now with Obamacare everyone is required to buy medical insurance even if you can't afford it, and tens of millions of people still don't have it and aren't going to, hopefully this will be changed after the next election.

Alan