Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

are there any Plexiglass sheets for laser safety?

hey everyone.

just wondering if anyone knows of any affordable plexi glass or plastic sheets of any kind that can block 405nm blu ray style diodes (and affordable)

I'd like to build a small engraving CNC but want to ensure the laser light is contained. I'd just like a small viewing window in the front that can block the laser light.

even though it'll be pointing down.. accidents can happen.

thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Now I'm no expert on Plexiglas or acrylic sheeting so someone will have to help you there. However I don't see why you can't wear a pair of safety glasses while the machine is running? You could even go as far as completely enclosing it and cutting up a pair of glasses and mounting the cut glasses to the machine.

thanks. I'm hoping for something a tad nicer looking though. I've got safety glasses, but I can't really make the lady wear safety glasses all day or make the dog wear them so it'd be great to just put a front panel on the machine, and a lock and let it do it's thing.. I guess when I say affordable I should say I'm hoping to find a sheet in the $30-40 range. 10x10 inches or even larger if possible.

Then you need a window specially designed for laser, and specific to your wavelength and power, one example in this link, but is not so cheaper.

That's a great start Piferal! expensive as you said.

if I could find something similar at half the price I'd be set..
I'm hoping to make a couple of these for friends so I'd like to keep the price low. (looking to make 3 cases)

If you really need a blocking window, your best bet would he contacting the source of the goggles themselves and asking if they're willing to sell some of their stock. Though that might cost a pretty penny or two and I'm not sure it even works that way. I think your best route would be putting a couple pairs at the entrances to your work station and if they aren't wearing them, they are not allowed. Explain the dangers of laser light to them so they actually heed the warnings.

well unfortunately I live in an apartment so my workspace is also attached to the living space. the glasses route really isn't appropriate and the machine is in view.

Things

If it's only a low-ish powered blu-ray <500mW, then just regular semi-transparent *coloured* acrylic will be fine. Take your blu-ray down to a plastic shop and shine it thru a few sheets and see which one blocks it best. I would say the fluorescent orange stuff would do a pretty good job at it.

Last edited:
a yellow hue sees to absorb 405nm the best orange for 455 red for 535 and so on. just like art class in school with the color wheel, A yellow acrylic will absorb almost all scattered and fast axis light but a direct shot will burn the acrylic I would think. If you are just keeping it from leaking EM out your window a piece of foil or cardboard comes to mind. Sound like a yellow lexan cube would work depending on how big your device is.