Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are laser mice really... lasers?

strik3

australian law is for laser "Pointers" only. a labby or wireless mouse is fine according to customs who i just called.

What if you're using the mouse on a laptop running off the battery? Lol, I'm just kidding of course, that is way beyond the point of ridiculous.

Blord

They have really a laser diode inside. My Logitech MX revolution has a 848nm wavelenght laserdiode. Nice for those wavelenght collectors. :D

I just took a quick pic of my logitech vx nano and got an invisible camera only blue light?

imag0355xb.jpg

imag0356o.jpg

DrSid

Depends on camera. Sensors in cameras use same photodiodes for all color channels. To make them react differently to each color, they use color filters. So only red light gets to red photodiode and so on. Since the filters are not designed to do anything with IR, it's mostly random. One webcam I have shows it as clean white. Most are somewhat violet or pink. But I would not be surprised by any color.

DrSid

No .. that is normal .. but since the laser is lot stronger then it seems, I would not stare into it. It should be safe .. but still .. try staring into 1mW red .. it's for sure not pleasant, and this is twice the energy .. it just does not LOOK like it.

I've got the G9x. 9>5, and applying some simple math we get Po=(9*2.1)/5.

I'm calculating about 3.8mW for the g9x. Because you know, model numbers are an indication of output power.

But yeah, I was pretty surprised at the collimation of the laser mouse.

The only way I'm getting a new mouse is if my G5 dies. I replaced the USB cord on it last year, and it's still going strong. Had it for like 4 years now.

^ Perhaps you guys need to re-read the laserFAQ or something.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Now who wants to pot mod a mouse?

Last edited: