Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are laser diodes durable enough to be used as light sources in prop lightsaber hilts?

cakeba

I'm seriously considering using a laser diode instead of a CREE LED module as the light source in a Saberforge lightsaber hilt. In general, are laser diodes durable enough that I could put one inside of a lightsaber hilt and use the lightsaber for dueling, or would the impactful nature of prop lightsaber dueling destroy the diode?

I'm seriously considering using a laser diode instead of a CREE LED module as the light source in a Saberforge lightsaber hilt. In general, are laser diodes durable enough that I could put one inside of a lightsaber hilt and use the lightsaber for dueling, or would the impactful nature of prop lightsaber dueling destroy the diode?
I suspect not. If I were you I'd compare pricing. I suspect leds are less expensive and certainly more rugged.

Hexal101

Like Steve said it wouldn’t work that well, but if you didn’t duel to harshly than I’d suppose a laser diode would be ok. I wouldn’t try it though, like Steve said LEDs less expensive and much more durable. Although, are you hellbent on building this lightsaber yourself? If not I can send a link to premium sabers. My brother and I bought 2 and they’re awesome.

It’s called ultrasabers. LPF won’t let me post links bc I don’t have enough posts lol.

They’re quite expensive, but good build quality. Starting price is like 60 bucks I think.
Lol I sound like a salesperson

The hits when searching light sabres

They are LOTS of YTUBE laser light sabers
This one me likey.

You should contact spyropyro a very kewl forum member and outstanding YouTuber .

Ones made for rough handling are super expensive.
You prolly searched but for others interested..

I saw in person one that IIRC cost ~$300usd.

Using the actual sounds from the movie soundtrack--this one made sounds when waved and a different one when making contact with anything. that was awesome.

Gray at JL ordered it for a friend but was not able to get it shipped to China.
So he sent it instead to me for reshipping to his buddy in China.
He had not yet told me so for a while I thought another at LPF had gotten it for me as a surprise gift....btw the maker did not suggest actual sabre dueling. Those cost even more. BTW it was powered by LEDs not lasers.
Keep us in the link while you make yours--lots of pics PLZ!! enjoy!!

hak

Last edited:

cakeba

Like Steve said it wouldn’t work that well, but if you didn’t duel to harshly than I’d suppose a laser diode would be ok. I wouldn’t try it though, like Steve said LEDs less expensive and much more durable. Although, are you hellbent on building this lightsaber yourself? If not I can send a link to premium sabers. My brother and I bought 2 and they’re awesome.

It’s called ultrasabers. LPF won’t let me post links bc I don’t have enough posts lol.

They’re quite expensive, but good build quality. Starting price is like 60 bucks I think.
Lol I sound like a salesperson
I've got a saberforge saber already, but I wasn't impressed with the electronics. I have a hilt on the way (I think saberforge hilts are better-looking than ultrasabers, and I don't doubt the quality of the hilts as I do the electronics). I wanted to do custom internals on the new hilt, and had the idea of putting a laser diode in it instead of the standard LED module.

Snecho

There are many more experienced members like Paul that might know better, but I'd say it would depend.

Different diodes can be more robust than others so it would also depend on what color you need or what power you want. It also matters just how hard the impacts would be. But, overall diodes are sensitive pieces of electronics.

There are also limiting factors like depending on power, a good quality heatsink would be in order. Especially since it would be enclosed inside the hilt and not open to the air, which is something to consider. I don't know how the blades are supposed to absorb the light, but there would also be the question if the diode needs to be colimated or not and in what way. And, by extension, especially if using something higher powered, there is the safety issue if the laser can escape the blade and cause eye damage, requiring laser goggles. This is especially if the beam is colimated and there is no obstruction at the end of the blade to stop the beam.

So obviously there are a lot more things involved than just using LEDs but personally, I'd say go for it because just imagine telling your friends, "My lightsaber is powered by an actual laser." :p