Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are beam expanders worth it?

DylanLaserBoy

Hello guys, sorry for the multiple threads. I am looking at purchasing a beam expander for my 1W 525nm running G7 lens. Will it do much to make that beam more narrow at further distances? Thanks. - Dylan :)

I would rather use the G8 from DTR's site. I have both and the G8 is better.
You could do that combined with a beam expander. How could a singlet lens create a lower divergence more so than a beam expander? It can't, unless it's a very low power expander.

In other words with more:

For laser diodes, a large single lens with a long enough focal length (without any other lens/expander in front of it) can produce a lower divergence beam than a fancy multi-element/lens beam expander, if the lenses used in said beam expander is producing a smaller beam diameter output than the single lens collimator produces.

If using a laser diode and you want to build a cheap large beam diameter low divergence pointer, just find a large single PCX lens with a long enough focal length so the diameter of the beam from the laser diode fills 80% of its diameter at its focal length and adjust to infinity focus. Only problem is without correction, the beam from most laser diodes is a rectangle, so half of the lens diameter won't be used, wasted glass, but far less expensive than using cylinder or prism pair lenses to square the shape of the beam.

PDF: How to build a classic multi-element beam expander https://photos.imageevent.com/qdf_f...beamexpander/How-to-Build-a-Beam-Expander.pdf

Last edited:
In other words with more:

For laser diodes, a large single lens with a long enough focal length (without any other lens/expander in front of it) can produce a lower divergence beam than a fancy multi-element/lens beam expander, if the lenses used in said beam expander is producing a smaller beam diameter output than the single lens collimator produces.

If using a laser diode and you want to build a cheap large beam diameter low divergence pointer, just find a large single PCX lens with a long enough focal length so the diameter of the beam from the laser diode fills 80% of its diameter at its focal length and adjust to infinity focus. Only problem is without correction, the beam from most laser diodes is a rectangle, so half of the lens diameter won't be used, wasted glass, but far less expensive than using cylinder or prism pair lenses to square the shape of the beam.

PDF: How to build a classic multi-element beam expander https://photos.imageevent.com/qdf_f...beamexpander/How-to-Build-a-Beam-Expander.pdf
I've seen that Newport article many times but the title is misleading because all it shows is lens placement. It does not at all explain how to construct what is typically considered a beam expander one would purchase

Last edited: