Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic G2 Review Edit: Added a lot of pics

Hello all, this is the start of my review on my G2 Arctic, which I was asked to review by WL. Got a lot of work to do so I'll just leave you with one picture, the included NoIR style goggles from WL. Goggles VS 5mW Core Overall the laser is awesome, wonderful host, clean threads and quite heavy in my hand, I know I'm holding a serious laser when I hold this thing. I'll update this as soon as I can, got a ton of work to do.
Pictures in Post #13

Last edited:

DJNY

Re: Arctic G2 Review

Did you get it as a promote unit?

If you're asking if I got it for free, then yes I did.

DJNY

Cool. I´m lookin forward to your review!

Alright, been messing with the laser for the past few days in what little spare time I could find and I gotta say it's one of the best lasers I've ever handled. The build quality is incredible and the battery life is also great. I am going to work on getting more pictures of the laser itself, sent it off to a friend for metering and haven't taken any good ones yet. The included lenses are really fun to play around with, the line and cross generation lenses have the faintest bit of ghost lines on the edges, but with goggles on it's not really noticeable. The focusing lens is great for turning an already powerful laser into a real burning machine, even with the larger multimode dot from the 445nm diode it makes a pin-point dot for incredible fun :eg:. The flashlight and floodlight lenses are kinda what you'd expect them to be, they make big blue spots :D. They are (at least the floodlight lens) are dual-element lenses, with the lenses bonded together. As ZapU pointed out in his review of a G2, the High Power lens barely reflects any light at all and is great for full power burning. The beam inside is incredible, even on 'high' with the low power lens on. The Smart Switch isn't a hassle, it's actually reassuring because it doesn't allow everyone access to the >700mW of Class IV visible laser power at the press of a button. The ONE gripe I have about the Smart Switch is that it starts off in low power pulse mode and there's no way I know of to change this. It's nice to start in low power, but the pulse thing is kind of annoying. Other than that this laser is pretty awesome. Pictures to come ASAP!

I didn't get all the lenses with mine but I agree that it is well built and has stable power output. I'd like to see a pix of that focusing lens.

HMike

I'll see what kind of picture I can get with it, I've still got the lenses here, I'll try and get a beamshot with my 100mW 532 through it.

DJNY

Alright, been messing with the laser for the past few days in what little spare time I could find and I gotta say it's one of the best lasers I've ever handled. The build quality is incredible and the battery life is also great.

Did you open the Arctic to check built quality?
Did they send their new Sanyo batts with it?

Edit: Hm WICKED seem to have a server problem...

I don't plan on opening it, nor have I yet ;). Yes, it included a Sanyo unprotected battery, the pinkish colored one with the purple ring around the positive nub:
li_ion_btr.jpg

Got it back today, no power measurements after all, my friend's meter wasn't working right, but oh well I'll just pick up an Alpha when the time comes that they're available and I've got the funds to spare. Some quick and dirty divergence measurements give me:
~1.3998241075495885mRad on the fast
and
~0.17497812594824472mRad on the slow

I'm not sure the slow axis is right, it seems almost impossibly low?

I measured the width at 1/2ft and at 19 1/4ft, for both the wide and thin parts of the beam, I thought that's what you were supposed to do. Regardless, if I have to remeasure I can, it'll just be a while.

Some pictures (I'm not sure what that blurry spot over in the corner is, I believe it is just the edge of my right hand/arm, I was holding the laser in my left hand and leaning towards the camera/pressing the button with my right hand):

The laser and assorted lenses:
65113400.jpg

With the low power lens on and in low power mode:
f3abdf45.jpg

With the low power lens on and in high power mode:
1b055589.jpg

With no lens on and in low power mode:
4b9b7baa.jpg

With no lens on and in high power mode:
a0640bc1.jpg

With the line generation lens on and in low power mode:
d70cd34b.jpg

With the line generation lens on and in high power mode:
a97fe24e.jpg

With the cross generation lens on and in low power mode:
d22871e7.jpg

With the cross generation lens on and in high power mode:
b6a4c877.jpg

With the flashlight lens on and in low power mode:
cfca50a8.jpg

With the flashlight lens on and in high power mode:
2fa069c7.jpg

With the galaxy lens on and in low power mode:
783d1e17.jpg

With the galaxy lens on and in high power mode:
83d3db47.jpg

Another high power galaxy lens shot:
97560ab0.jpg

The floodlight lens wasn't included mainly because it's just a distorted version of the flashlight lens. Thanks for reading!

My X line lens broke :( but I didn't really care too much for it. Instead I'm going to turn it into an open hole for unobstructed laser path (kind of like ZapU's G1 trainer lens mod)