Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

archeometry's IR to Vis Converter

Here is the prototype ceramic material, should go to 1600-2000 deg F and would be mounted on a refractory spatula of alumina or equivalent material.

Attachments

• CeramicAntistokes.jpg
    CeramicAntistokes.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 243

The device was designed for 785nm for high power density 5Kw/cm2 or better and Raman laser systems. Also there is a plastic coating over the matrix that can be removed and because you see reflection at 473nm doesn't mean reflection in the IR. Hence mirrors made out of polished silicon for IR and other materials for different wavelengths. Cost of 785nm Raman system is $25K so 75 bucks is cheapo in respect. Germany sells a device for $400 and Japan $350, but didn't see any rating at 785nm. You can see the beam wearing the safety glasses! A scientist was blinded at Los Alamos when they tested a 1064nm LIBS unit on a microsecond pulse...it bounced around the room and hit the guy in one eye and fried his retina. Alot of cheapo high powered 532nm lasers cause people eye damage from the 1064nm bleedthru the glasses...dw

Nice to see you back....:wave:

Would you have something to substantiate that statement...:thinking:
I find it hard to believe a professional like a Scientist would not be wearing
appropriate Laser eye protection with such a hazardous beam...

I may be wrong... but I would love to see the documentation on that
accident as future reference... :cool:

Jerry

The device was designed for 785nm for high power density 5Kw/cm2 or better and Raman laser systems. Also there is a plastic coating over the matrix that can be removed and because you see reflection at 473nm doesn't mean reflection in the IR. Hence mirrors made out of polished silicon for IR and other materials for different wavelengths. Cost of 785nm Raman system is $25K so 75 bucks is cheapo in respect. Germany sells a device for $400 and Japan $350, but didn't see any rating at 785nm. You can see the beam wearing the safety glasses! A scientist was blinded at Los Alamos when they tested a 1064nm LIBS unit on a microsecond pulse...it bounced around the room and hit the guy in one eye and fried his retina. Alot of cheapo high powered 532nm lasers cause people eye damage from the 1064nm bleedthru the glasses...dw

That would be an oxymoron ;) Most "high powered" greenies would have an IR filter...

Also, unless the room is made out of mirrors, I find it hard to believe that a laser pulse could just "bounce around the room" and still have enough power to blind someone. Besides, I'm pretty sure LIBS doesn't require anything powerful enough to do that...

I got the info couple years back from Kigre Laser in N.C., Los Alamos developed the LIBS unit for the rover mission on Mars...during a test, some visiting scientists were viewing this pulsed Nd-Yag Libs unit, not everyone in this room had safety glasses. The guy from Kigre said the pulse riccocheted in the room and hit this scientist in one eye and the retinal damage was enough to blind him. I was looking to buy a LIBS unit that has shielding around the test compartment and i wanted to remove this to accomodate large objects. The Kigre guy advised me not to do this and coughed up the story at LANL...

here is a couple US Army photos of retinal burns, etc from ND-Yag Laser rangefinder

Attachments

• RetinaDamageNdYag.jpg
    RetinaDamageNdYag.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 146
  • RetinalDamageNdYagRangefinder.jpg
    RetinalDamageNdYagRangefinder.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 151

daguin

I got the info couple years back from Kigre Laser in N.C., Los Alamos developed the LIBS unit for the rover mission on Mars...during a test, some visiting scientists were viewing this pulsed Nd-Yag Libs unit, not everyone in this room had safety glasses. The guy from Kigre said the pulse riccocheted in the room and hit this scientist in one eye and the retinal damage was enough to blind him. I was looking to buy a LIBS unit that has shielding around the test compartment and i wanted to remove this to accomodate large objects. The Kigre guy advised me not to do this and coughed up the story at LANL...

here is a couple US Army photos of retinal burns, etc from ND-Yag Laser rangefinder

bsflag.gif

Peace,
dave

Benm

Sure, laser beams bounce around rooms very similar to tennis balls, and since they're going 300 km/sec to begin with, there is nowhere to hide! :D

Well.... I received the $75.00 IR indicator from MFO yesterday...
(thanks again MFO)

As was posted by the seller... this IR Indicator was sensitive
"tested from 785 to 930nm"d and as MFO stated the seller told
him... down to 1mW...

I set it in the beam of our 3Watt 808nm adjustable Labby Laser..
I slowly turned up the metered beam from 0 to 1000mW looking
through IR Laser Safety Goggles...

mW --- $13.00 IR Ind. --- $75.00 Ind.

1-------- visible --------------- not visible
10------ very visible --------- barely visible
50------ very visible --------- barely visible
100---- very visible --------- visible
500---- very visible --------- visible
1000 -- very visible -------- quite visible
2000 -- very visible -------- very visible

I also noticed that with the $75.00 IR Ind. the beam profile
was very blurry... You basically only see the presence of IR
but no beam profile definition.

Yet with the $13.00 IR Indicator I could actually clearly see the
individual Muliti-Mode laser segments making up the beam when
the Laser's beam was enlarged under 500mW...

in addition.. the beam image on the surface of the $75.00 converter
faded just like the $13.00 IR converter.

I still think the $13.00 IR Indicator is the better choice...:cool:

Jerry

If anyone is interested in one of these super IR indicators you can now buy more on ebay! IR to Visible Laser converter 785-980nm $89 or best offer +$5 shipping US only. "Foreign buyers need not bid"
Lasersbee if your not satisfied with only having one of them you could have him ship another to me & I would gladly forward it to you!
"Keep away from childred and not resposible for misuse of the device" In my experience children do tend to find IR indicators rather tasty for some reason.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in one of these super IR indicators you can now buy more on ebay! IR to Visible Laser converter 785-980nm $89 or best offer +$5 shipping US only. "Foreign buyers need not bid"
Lasersbee if your not satisfied with only having one of them you could have him ship another to me & I would gladly forward it to you!
"Keep away from childred and not resposible for misuse of the device" In my experience children do tend to find IR indicators rather tasty for some reason.

His Lolipop shaped IR converter material must be Poisonous to
put a disclaimer of..

Keep away from childred and not resposible for misuse of the device. :eek:

So... don't anybody lick it....:crackup::crackup:

Jerry

Also I had to use this product in the dark to the dot from my 980nm module
It's in the paragraph under the first picture.
You forgot "see" in there. :p Sorry, don't get to correct you very much.