Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anything salvageable from HP dvd1035 drive?

I have never seen that before, but if I had to make a guess, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt there is a problem.

Well, hopefully these are better photos.

38: Black discoloration on entire side of heat sink?
1609-dvd1035-disassembly-38-discoloration.jpg

39: Some black discoloration on other side, plus file mark:
1610-dvd1035-disassembly-39-discoloration-file-mark.jpg

40: Front view:
1611-dvd1035-disassembly-40-diode-front.jpg

So, can you tell if this black discoloration is an indication of burning or stress? Is my diode FUBAR? The discoloration around the heat sink (?) of the diode is black, whereas the rest of the diode areas just seem to have lost its brass color somehow.

Is there a quick and easy way to briefly test it to see if it even lights up at all? I'm not talking about keep it on for more than 2 seconds. Just to see if I get any red light or not.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmm... why is my post timestamped many hours later than I posted last night? And how did iskor12 reply to my post before my post was posted? Wait, what? :confused:

OK, another question:

How can I tell what kind of diode I have? Like is it a LPC-815 or a BDR or something else? I don't see any "model number" on my diode anywhere.

Now that is something that I can't answer.
One thing that you could do is look up the information about the drive you took it out of.

Otherwise, just from the looks of it...it looks like a LPC-815..20x red LOC diode.
A 16x closed can looks like this.
Picture taken from http://stonetek.org/shop/
GB_Diode11.JPG

Last edited:
I tried searching the 'net for more info on the drive that the diode came from. I get plenty of misc info, but nothing on what kind of diode was used, so i have no idea what model number it is. It's definitely an open can, I just don't know any more details on it.

I guess I need to order some Aixiz housings and a driver soon!

Well, you did say that it was a 20X burner didn't you?

If it is, Drive it at 400mA and let it be. It should make a nice burner for you:)

Well, you did say that it was a 20X burner didn't you?

If it is, Drive it at 400mA and let it be. It should make a nice burner for you:)
The specs say:

Write:
DVD+R up to 20x (CAV)
DVD+R DL up to 8x (Z-CLV)
DVD+RW up to 8x (Z-CLV)
DVD-R up to 20x (CAV)
DVD-R DL up to 8x (Z-CLV)
DVD-RW up to 6x (CLV)

Read:
DVD-ROM up to 16x (CAV)

I might decide to drive it a little lower just to extend the life of the diode longer. I can handle a lower power output if it means my diode will live longer.

Thanks for the input!

I typically run my 20X diodes at 380mA for a long life. :) Output should be around 180 to 250mW

You must keep in mind that there are many factors that can make the diode not live a long life.

1.) Poor Heat Sinking
2.) Poor/ruff instalation
3.) Long Duty cycles
4.) Ruff abuse...like strapping it to a 12 guage shotgun for a laser sight...(Been there done that:))
5.) High Current
6.) Bad Luck..:):):)

Last edited:
I received my Aixiz laser housing blanks today!! Whoo hoo!

So, if I have time tonight, I'll work on putting the LD into the housing. I have a brake adjuster from a bicycle that should be the correct size to use as a "Diode Press" kind of tool.

Then, I think I'll just run wires from the LD pins for now. I'm just anxious to get a working laser for now. Size doesn't matter at this point. LOL.

I still need to get the parts for the DIY DDL Driver. I'll hit up my local Radio Shack for all the components soon.

I'm sure you have read up on pressing the diode into the Aixiz module already, but here's a few tips anyway.

1. "start" the diode into the module.(use the back side of the back part of the Aixiz) Just a light touch on the press (vice) will seat it lightly. Take it out of the vice and make sure it is started straight IE: even all around, when looking from the side. My biggest problem when I first started doing this, was starting the diode crooked in the module. If it starts crooked you will never get it in without ruining it.
2. Watch out for the pins on the LD, they will break off if you don't have the press tool centered.
3. Press it in slowly. It should go in without using much force. If you have to crank down on the vice handle, it's probably started crooked.
4. Recess the diode's face .5 to 1mm below the face of the module. If you leave it flush, the laser won't focus correctly.

Good luck and keep us updated.:whistle:
+1 for your GREAT pics. and slow and methodical manner.:wave:

Thank you for the advice, Greenmechanic!

I'll definitely make sure that I put it in straight, and recess it properly.

I'm trying to stay slow and methodical. I'm afraid that if I go too fast or get too excited, my big hands will break something, or I'll do something wrong and end up w/ a dead LD. Plus, I'm on a tight budget, so I can only get one tool, or one component/supply, at a time.

I feel you pain with the whole budget thing.

Taking it slow, is definitely the best way to go....especially your first time.

Well, I have it in most of the way. I used the back side of the Aixiz housing and my little vise to get it flush. But my bicycle brake adjuster is "old and beat-up" (the edge isn't even) so I'd rather not use it for fear of breaking the pins off the LD. I need to buy a new one.

One stupid question: The black threaded lens holder... which end should be facing out? One side is all lens w/ two notches cut into the edge of the black housing. The other side has a "ring" on the edge and a small hole.

Also, do you screw the black threaded piece into the housing and then put the adjusting screw cover on, or put the cover onto the black threaded piece and then screw it into the housing?

Wow. I feel dumb all of a sudden.

Well, I have it in most of the way. I used the back side of the Aixiz housing and my little vise to get it flush. But my bicycle brake adjuster is "old and beat-up" (the edge isn't even) so I'd rather not use it for fear of breaking the pins off the LD. I need to buy a new one.

One stupid question: The black threaded lens holder... which end should be facing out? One side is all lens w/ two notches cut into the edge of the black housing. The other side has a "ring" on the edge and a small hole.

Also, do you screw the black threaded piece into the housing and then put the adjusting screw cover on, or put the cover onto the black threaded piece and then screw it into the housing?

Wow. I feel dumb all of a sudden.

It's ok. :)
The black threaded lens holder.

1.) the "all lens side with the two notches" needs to be facing away from the diode.
2.) Put that ring on first before screwing the lens into the module.
3.) There should be a spring as well.....the spring goes into the module before you put the lens in. ;)

Good luck.
Any questions, feel free to ask
later,
Iskor12

Here is another tip for you.

Your power output of the laser will increase if you do this, small little modd. :)

This is what you are starting out with.
IMGP1079.jpg

This is what you are going to end with....except hopefully yours will look better than mine.
IMGP1078.jpg

This is the easiest way that I have found to do it.....yes, it is a quote.
The best method I've found so far is to simply take a very sharp box cutter or exacto knife, position it over the first thread in the lens, and simply press down, lopping off the entire aperture layer in one go.

Opening up the back side of the lens should give you a small increase in output. :)
Good luck :)

Last edited:
1.) the "all lens side with the two notches" needs to be facing away from the diode.
2.) Put that ring on first before screwing the lens into the module.
3.) There should be a spring as well.....the spring goes into the module before you put the lens in. ;)

Here is another tip for you.

Opening up the back side of the lens should give you a small increase in output.
Yeah, there's a spring, too. I knew where that went. So, I want the small hole end to be closest to the LD, and the lens on the "outside" so to speak. Gotcha. And I'll put the ribbed silver ring onto the black lens first, then screw that into the module. Thanks!

How does opening up that hole on the one end increase power? Doesn't the entire beam go through that hole in the first place?

How does opening up that hole on the one end increase power? Doesn't the entire beam go through that hole in the first place?

Not really. I don't know how to explain it. How about this. When you first power up the laser diode, do it with out the lens in place and shine it on a wall. Look at how it lights up your wall. A laser diode doesn't emit a beam....it just emits coherent light. The more light the lens is able to gather, the higher your output will be.