Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone who can measure the IR nm of some diodes for me?

I have some small IR diodes which are supposed to be 800-900nm from a CD writer sled, is there anyone who can measure the wavelength of these for me as well as the power output in exchange for some you can keep?

diachi

I have some small IR diodes which are supposed to be 800-900nm from a CD writer sled, is there anyone who can measure the wavelength of these for me as well as the power output in exchange for some you can keep?

More likely to be 780nm if they are from a CD Writer.

Initially, CD lasers with a wavelength of 780 nm were used, being within infrared range. For DVDs, the wavelength was reduced to 650 nm (red color), and the wavelength for Blu-ray Disc was reduced to 405 nm (violet color).

I'm not certain it was a CD writer, could have been something else, shouldn't have called them that. The seller thinks could be 900 something nm. I bought a large number of them cheap, they were installed in some equipment by the factory, but were the wrong ones, so they were all pulled out and replaced. I have the pulls.

Last edited:
I can measure them if you like, provided they're between 360 and 910nm. It would have to wait until I get back the beginning of April though. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

IF in case this is a CD + lightscribe sled....

The writing diodes will be 780nm but the light-scribing ( label design) laser will be --> ~800nm - 880nm @ ~200-300mW , at least in the ones I've found.
How old is the drive and does it have light scribe ?

Last edited:
Really? That is interesting. The DVD +
LightScribe only have the red and one IR
diode, or a dual diode. I will have to
keep my eye out for one of those. Or both
eyes. ;)