Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone tried air cooling a heatsink/host with a tiny fan?

The stock 775 ones have swirled, bifurcated fins.

yhst-90432262887525_2109_217172744

Yes, AMD is better, but good luck modifying one of their heatsinks.

For boscoj; We should probably move the delorean stuff here to this thread and i'll reply to your pics there. No need to hijack this thread after all. :D

http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/yo-52809.html

I was wrong. the fans I have are a bit different. The core is a bit smaller, and they don't have copper cores. However, since they cost me $3.18 each new.. I'm not going to gripe too terribly much. heh.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics. The heatsinks are 31mm deep, and the solid core is just a hair over 20mm wide.

Actually for trying to put in a host, one of these might actually work better due to the smaller core size. It leaves more room for fins even after it's machined down.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

With that one you could just cut out the centre raised section along with the fins.

Glue a fan to one end, drill out the other end to fit a module, and you're done.

The link in my sig is a little more comprehensive.

With that one you could just cut out the centre raised section along with the fins.

Glue a fan to one end, drill out the other end to fit a module, and you're done.

The link in my sig is a little more comprehensive.

That's pretty much what I said about machining most of the outer fins off. However. looking at your diagram I see a flaw.

You'd want the air to exhaust out the front instead of out the sides for two major reasons.

1) You don't want to be sucking heat back into the host body where the driver is.
2) you don't want to have your optics on the vacuum side. You want to be blowing dust AWAY from your optics, not pulling it TOWARDS your optics.

The centrifugal fan can't just reverse itself and blow air through the heatsink. And an axial fan wouldn't generate enough pressure to move the air through the fins.

Also- the air's being drawn in through the fins and out the back where the centrifugal fan is.

The spacer prevents air from moving near and/or past the lens.

I'm confident this design in a 4D Maglite would be able to keep a 60W soldering iron at 40C. (insert barrel into hole where AixiZ module goes). These centrifugal fans can be powerful.

If a radial heatsink and blower in a HTPC can keep a 65W CPU under control, I'm sure it would handle fine.

Your not worried about pressure. Unless you had a really high fin density, the pressure buildup is going to be minimal. Pressure is actually a bad thing. In a heatsink, you want the most flow possible, which means the least pressure.

And spacer or not, I still think pulling air towards the optics is a bad thing.

Just my two cents though. Take it as you will.

As for the pressure, it's the result from forcing air in and out of the holes in the host, unless you choose to use a host with an open head.

It's all a concept anyway. I don't have anything to even start building this thing.