Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know the power of DVD Reader LDs?

Benm

It's really hard to tell from a picture... could be quite normal, perhaps a bit of grime on the lens? Does it look sort of star-shaped like the picture in reality, or is that just caused by the camera?

IgorT

Benm said:
It's really hard to tell from a picture... could be quite normal, perhaps a bit of grime on the lens? Does it look sort of star-shaped like the picture in reality, or is that just caused by the camera?

I cleaned the lense with ethanol before mounting it.

It looks very much star like.. The camera actually didn't focus that well and in reality, the "beams" going away from the point in the middle are MUCH longer, while the point itself is MUCH smaller..

I should have made this pic with the lights on.. It would be better then. I guess i'll replace it.

There is also the possibility the opening (hole) in the focusing nut is too small to allow all the light to come out, and reflections from the inside of this hole could be causing this pattern.

IgorT

Finally a burning laser!!!

Just now i was able to narrow the beam to a little spot at 25mm. I then put a piece of black painted paper in front of it..

It made a hole clean through!

I do have a burning laser! Even with the bad optics and all the distortions in the lense..

Once i finally get the aixiz housings it can only get better.. I can hardly wait!

BTW: All this is with a little less than 200mA (at 3V).

And the heatsinks seem to work perfectly. I found this out by accident, when i left the laser on in my pocket for 25 minutes.. Then i immediatelly checked the temperature at different points and it never went over 35 degrees centigrade.. Even at the LD directly..

Now i'm happy! ;)

EDIT: Just imagine what this LD could do with proper optics and active cooling... [smiley=evil.gif]

IgorT

a_pyro_is said:
As Daedal says Quote: "Don't point that at me, I like these pants"

Indeed.. ;)

I was actually able to light a cigarette with it.. It took a while, to turn the entire tip black, just with the laser, but after that it lit up immediatelly..

I haven't read about this before, has anyone else tried it?

This LD i have is quite amazing and sturdy.. I'm happy with it.. And once i finally get the aixiz modules, it can only get better.. ;)

IgorT

Benm said:

BTW: About the star pattern.. As i said before, it is MUCH bigger than it appears on the picture, and it turns with the laser..

I was walking along the beam and puffing some smoke at it, to see if it was straight, and noticed this star pattern comes from separate "flat" beams, spreading further and further away, as the distance increases, altho the beam in the middle is "perfectly" straight.. (focused at infinity)

I really hope the problem is just in the lense, and that it will get A LOT better with the modules.. Now if only Aixiz would answer me.. They were quick to answer about shipping, but after i paid, i got no answer about when they will be sending it, and it has been two weeks now... :( I'm starting to get worried..

Scog

Aixis are always like that, don't worry, you will get your modules.

I have the same diode in the sled sitting right here. Are you planning on getting it out from the heatsink that it is in or are you going to keep it like you have it now for the aixiz module?

EDIT: I really need to pay attention to the dates on these posts.

Last edited: