Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone interested in my 2.5 532? Keeping it :o

Encap

That is hilarious! I'm glad you did. In the long run I think you'll come to see it was the right decision. :crackup:
Yes it is, in a sense. Well said.
It is a another episode in a continuing saga at this point a serial.
Stay tuned for next episode.

Yeah. My brain is a little strange :( :undecided:-Alex
No worries Alex> Each of us is totally unique -- just like everyone else.

The best way to illuminate the darkness is to make light of it, for sure.

Unrelated post: Someones gotta push Laserman over the top to 2K, Encap too, almost 7K. I'm out of ability to hit either of them up right now, or I would.
For the mention Alaskan, thank you.

Looks like you will be at the 10,000 reps mark in no time at all.

I think the LPF community will need to do some sort of a congratulatory memorialization of when you hit 10,000 reps, to mark the moment.

Not sure what but certainly an acknowledgement of the fact thread.

I tried and it allowed me finally. I owed rep to him as he deserved more than I could give due to spreading. Well deserved and he is there. ;)

Thank you for the leg up/boost over the 7000 fence.

Last edited:

Could be one of several to reach 10K first, certainly soon after. I would have never thought the reps would start paying such interest, spread enough around and pretty soon the whole ocean level rises.

Radim

I can think of lots of people who KNEW they were strange, but they were ahead of the crowd, that was why.

I hate to see this financial spiral of trading down instead of up. 10 mw of yellow either 594 or 589 isn't trading up IM not so H Opinion, not for what you have now. I have a 4.25 watt output 532nm DPSS made by CNI and your 2.5 watt laser has a far better beam and higher power density due to that. I wouldn't want to get stung by that green beam, yours has got to sting like a hornet. 2 1/2 watts in that tiny little beam, OMG, I'd love to see some nighttime beam shots.

Exactly. Being strange often implies higher mind.
However with about 1 W of 589 nm, that would be awesome deal IMO. ;)

Thank you for the leg up/boost over the 7000 fence.

You are welcome and good luck with reaching another thousands. ;)

Reactions: GSS
Glory to God, 1 watt of yellow, that's like having several ounces of gold. I'll take it, just don't want to trade the gold to get it.

Glory to God, 1 watt of yellow, that's like having several ounces of gold. I'll take it, just don't want to trade the gold to get it.

Indeed. Alaskan, I was thinking about what you said regarding beam quality. According to CNI's website you can get the 4W N model like yours with a TEM00 beam but Im betting it would be quite more expensive! I must be fortunate to have a TEM00 2.5W 532 :eek: :can:

-Alex

Radim

:D However still, if considering such a power there has to be some trick if anyone wants to change it for 2.5 W of green. But I believe if some philantropist offered such a trade to Alex, he would sent his greenie immediately. Even he has 1 W of 589 nm only to look at and admire the beam, this would be sufficient use IMO. The golden laser light is hypnotizing enough to spent hours, days, weeks, years watching it... :)

Only problem with 589 is trading solid gold for gold light that disappears after it is turned off .

Radim

Only problem with 589 is trading solid gold for gold light that disappears after it is turned off.

That's one of the reasons (likely the main reason) why I started laserpainting with my Yellowie starring on pics. :D However RGB colorspace (or horrible CMYK if printed) cannot capture such a gammut as human eye does and AFAIK 589 nm is out of it a bit (but it is very close).

GSS

Only problem with 589 is trading solid gold for gold light that disappears after it is turned off .
Solid gold would also always be there, what if we lost all source of power?:cryyy:

Last edited:
Or it breaks :(

At least Radim can keep his artwork :) Light is awesome, electro-magnetic waves which exist inside time, but for which time has so little effect upon photons they can continue to exist for billions of years, if nothing obstructs their path. (well, probability waves, until collapsed).

I'm starting to think I ought to mix red and green to get my yellow beam, cheap and lots of power! Maybe spend a bit more for one of those 1500 dollar Optlasers 4 watt RGB units which has had its price dropped down close to 1,000 USD if you buy it through his web site. If you can't get the real thing, get something which looks like it.

4W RGB Laser Module + PSU - Opt Lasers

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-23%20at%2012.01.04%20PM.png

Or, one of these for less than half the price. Using single mode diodes the beam specs are much better and due to tighter divergence a smaller spot size will deliver just as much power density as the higher priced, higher power unit at a distant target such as a cloud base (if you live far enough away from an airport and careful not to do so when aircraft in the are. As much as idiots are flashing aircraft lately, I probably shouldn't give that as an example):

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-23%20at%2012.06.46%20PM.png

I am sure most of us are aware of Arctic Dude's RGB pointer built out of one of these fine little units.

Last edited:

Radim

Yes, Alaskan. Light and EM radiation in general is awesome to study and use. The best thing is with lasers you can easily use its wave behaviour and also kind of particle behaviour as well to demonstrate and enjoy the strange essence of real world. Well it is not that strange if you accept to know nothing if you consider only the common experienced perception of world. I like to say that real world apears more scfi fi than any sci fi movie can show, it than basically appears more real.

But still R and G composed yellow I personally do not consider as real yellow - just because if you hit diffraction grating for example and get many red and green beams, not many yellows. But it is good to reach very close of high power 589 nm like line. In chromacity diagram 520 nm and some reds are more less in line with 589 nm, so it can be very similar color if intensity of R and G channels are mixed well.

Source: Wiki - click on pic for link.

Edit: Just connect some green wavelength with red and you can find a point very close to 589 nm which can be reached by moving on the line you get (channels intensity adjusting). Just note that actual colors on pic are just for reference. The relevant are only coordinates on the chart.

Edit 2: The curved line with Kelvines is black body radiation.

Last edited:
I know, real yellow is pure, red and green will never look as good and the beam can diverge some to show one or both of the colors spreading out. I started to ponder why we see yellow when the color cones of our eyes are only R, G or Blue. The thought came to mind that since yellow is roughly half way between red and green, that is what we see. Mixing red and green we see yellow too, as an average between the two, I guess..

Radim

Yes, different beam specs and alignment are also concerns. And you are right. We can basically see three colors, each of the "channels" in our eye has its own sensitivity curves to various wavelengths and all colors we can see are captured inside the diagram I posted above. It is not strict triangle, therefore it explains somehow that it is not single wavelength perceived by given cone type IMO.

Edit: Here the curves mentioned:

Source: Wiki - click on pic for link.

Last edited:
Obviously, the brain takes the perceived colour intensities of the three different R,G,B cones and processes them as different hues, or colours, when they aren't necessarily so. What a great trick!

Yes, different beam specs and alignment are also concerns. And you are right. We can basically see three colors, each of the "channels" in our eye has its own sensitivity curves to various wavelengths and all colors we can see are captured inside the diagram I posted above. It is not strict triangle, therefore it explains somehow that it is not single wavelength perceived by given cone type IMO.

Edit: Here the curves mentioned:

FYI... That pic is 2,709 × 2,048 pixels
Try to keep Pictures at 600 X 800 pixels...
That pic is 3 screens wide and I can't see it all
on one screen. :beer:
Not all LPF members have 60" monitors. ;)

Jerry

Last edited: