Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone have a source for a 5mW 808nm laser?

Hello all,
I normally don't make "where can I find xxx" posts because I tend to hate them, haha. However, this time I have done the research... I've checked all of the laser websites that I know of as well as read EVERY SINGLE POST here on LPF that the search function came back with when I searched "808nm".

I know I can see 808nm rather well from looking at diffuse reflections from cheap 532nm pump diodes, but I'd like to have one that is safe to look at for my wavelength collection. Low power is essential, I won't make an IR pointer with a high power laser. I value my and others' eyesight too much. If I wanted an IR burner I'd just rip apart a $5 green.

So, anyone know where to get a 5mW 808nm diode or module or pointer that is actually 5mW? I've seen a few 808nm modules on eBay, but they're probably >100mW just marked as 5mW. I did find a 5mW module at Aixiz, but $30 shipped is a little steep for 5mW of IR, but as of right now that seems to be my only option.

I'd also like to have similar with other NIR wavelengths; I found a 780nm 5mW module from Aixiz, and I trust that to be on spec, so I'll be getting that, especially since it is only $8 shipped.

At that power I highly doubt you'd see anything.

EDIT: you could probably turn down the pot in your green laser. But you'd need a LPM to be sure of the measurement.

Last edited:
I initially thought I wouldn't be able to see 5mW 808nm, but then I noticed I can see the ~1mW 848nm of my laser mouse, haha.

Aye, that is an option, but I'd need an LPM first, hehe. It is on the to get list, but it isn't a priority yet =/ .

Last edited:
Tbh, no I'm not 100% sure. It was a very expensive mouse, and it's the best I've ever owned. The aforementioned attributes are the reasons why I haven't opened it up to see if it is indeed a laser. It says 848nm laser radiation right around the aperture though.

Last edited:

Fiddy

wow you can see 1mW of 848m..... I cant see 500mW of 808m!

You can't see 500mW!? Damn, lol go eat some carrots/liver! (Having ample biological stores of Retinol helps to keep retinal pigment reproduction going.)

I guess there's a downside to having good eyes; it is painful for me to go outside without dark sunglasses on a sunny day, has been that way as long as I can remember. Driving in a white out or in a cloudless day around noon or sunset is a recipe for a migraine the rest of the day. I can see the red from most LED remote controls as well, no way to tell what wavelength they are using though. I remember as a kid my father buying one of those IR test cards to see if the remote worked, I didn't understand why since I could see the red glow.

Anyway, that's all immaterial. I checked out LaserTo, and as I suspected from the bad grammar... the site is bust for IR lasers. It looks like a WL clone, all the "testimonials" claim to be from USA but are written in such obviously website-translated engrish, and the prices rival CNI (if you look at the 589's, which actually appear to be 594s in the pics, they're MORE expensive than CNI!!!). I appreciate you wanting to help, Angelina, but please thoroughly research the things you are going to suggest, before you suggest them. Most would have negative rep'd you for a suggestion like that, but seeing as you are new I'll give you forbearance.

Last edited:

Fiddy

Hahaha :) where you looking directly at the laser in the mouse?

When i say i cant see 500mW of 808, i mean i cant see the beam at all.

Oh, haha, that makes sense. I can't see the beam from 100mW of 650nm unless I'm right on the axis (with the laser pointed away, with it pointing at me (dangerous!) I can easily see it).

I can see it a lot better looking directly at it, it is 848nm after all! I can also see the spot reflected off of white paper from a few mm away from the aperture when in a dark room with dark adapted eyes. It is right on the edge of being detectable for me though, if my eyes aren't adapted enough I can't see the spot. I can see it when looking directly at it with normal day-sensitive eyes though.

Tell you what, you think our eyes don't focus 405nm well... 848nm is just a blur!

Fiddy

i see, im not looking into or looking for reflections off my laser! its far too dangerous :lasergun:

Yes, I agree, that is quite wise. I don't have the guts (or would it be brain damage?) necessary to stare into >5mW of anything. +1!

That's why I'm trying to track down a low power unit, seeing various wavelengths is fun, especially when they're not obviously visible (to everyone). How would you know if you could see it, if it's too dangerous to try to view!?

Fiddy

Digital NV! this was its intended purpose.

Here's the video of it in action:

rhd

I can't see the beam of my 900mW 808nm pointer. I even looked directly into it, and all I could see was a faint pink glow.

But then I subsequently fired up my 445, and I couldn't see it either. In fact, come to think of it, I can't see anything anymore. Strange.

That was a joke - in case anyone thought I was serious ;)

Sigurthr: +1 for you, when I can, for actually looking for a reasonably powered IR. It wasn't that long ago that the forum saw a rush of new users asking about IR, and it was disturbing. This may work for you:
1x 808nm 5mW Infrared IR Laser diode Module Pattern:DOT | eBay

Fiddy

I can't see the beam of my 900mW 808nm pointer. I even looked directly into it, and all I could see was a faint pink glow.

But then I subsequently fired up my 445, and I couldn't see it either. In fact, come to think of it, I can't see anything anymore. Strange.

That was a joke - in case anyone thought I was serious ;)

Sigurthr: +1 for you, when I can, for actually looking for a reasonably powered IR. It wasn't that long ago that the forum saw a rush of new users asking about IR, and it was disturbing. This may work for you:
1x 808nm 5mW Infrared IR Laser diode Module Pattern:DOT | eBay

Haha :D you funny bugger.

Nice find too, hopefully it doesn't have a bad divergence 'bar' like my diode.

LOL, almost had me going for a sec there, RHD!

Thanks for the links! I almost bought a similar one to the eBay link, but then I realized it could be any power level, since I have no LPM. That listing says <150mA for the If... that sounds a bit high for an IR diode, which makes me think it may be ~80mW or higher.

I hadn't thought about thorlabs because of the normal prices, but that diode isn't bad actually! There's a nicely priced 5mW 670nm from them as well. I'll definitely keep this in mind. Btw, I couldn't help but take a look at their <500nm diodes... $$$$ :eek: