Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

any "serious" way to focus multiple beams to one?

Mannitu78

Hello,
ive asked myself if there are any methods available to bundle all the beams from an array to 1 single. So far ive only seen the styropyro-way. Sure it must be possible with enough lenses (and maybe a parabolic mirror)of the right kind? Still i havent seen any device so far that can do that..

Greetings.

I've had some success with a zoom to focus beam expander setup as for getting a smaller cluster at distance, but there's no easy way to make a single high quality beam......I've wondered about fiber coupling an array and pumping a crystal but I don't know what we can pump with multimode 450nm.

SANY6315.JPG
SANY6257.JPG

Mannitu78

looks cool, how many diodes are working there?

It should be possible with a parabol-mirror. (edit: nah i mean a konvex or ball-mirror. The diodes would shoot backwards, so to speak, into the center of the mirror, in theory you could lay 8 beams exactly one over another. You would would have to arrange the diodes in a circle though.

have you ever seen anything on sale that claims to focus and bundle the beams from an array?

Last edited:
That's a nubm35 array with 8 beams, 2 rows of 4, I expect for smaller projectors.

The parabolic mirror would also change the beams focus.

No I haven't seen anything like that.

Mannitu78

yeah i think i juat had a brainfart, you cant get the beams exactly on top of each other with any kind of curved mirror, there will always be divergence. You would have to lay 8 one-way mirrors one before the other then you would have a giant construction and probably lots of energy/lightlosses.

When building a knife edge array you use the edge of a front surface mirror to stack the beams, everything has to be level and square......well not square, but you want your emitters all at the same height for each row and the point you strike the mirrors edge at the same height so that you keep a good tight bundle from near to far, that said I have thought about what could be done if we had some magic one way mirrors but you only really see that effect with dicros when combining different color beams or with polarized beam splitters/combiners.

This video shows a neat technique: Wavelength Division Multiplexing. He's using knife edging, but also a TEC cooler on each end of a group of diodes to create a temperature gradient. Since wavelength is temperature dependent, you can then take the independent beams from the knife edge array and recombine them with a prism.

kecked

The best way is using a pbs cube and rotator to combine two beams together. Repeat this as needed and knife edge the resulting combined beams. It is my understanding that if you fiber launch the output divergence will never be equal or better than the input. Physics is a mean lady. You can’t cheat.

you could once you figure out how to make Gravity wave generator bend the beams to overlap. Let me know how that goes 🍤

LSRFAQ

There are some unique simple lens with tilt, / parabolic lens combinations for up to 20 collimated lasers, then launched into a fiber if need be..
Sadly due to NDA I am not talking, but it is published/patented. Bench space required is also MEGA UGE, UGE I'm tellin ya! . ;-)

Hum, Mirrored Conic Sections... large tilted F1 (fast) lenses The tilt of one large lens element takes care of the natural astigmatism of the LD beams before the fiber . Hint Hint...

Last edited: