Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

any highlasers.com reviews?

fidmas

Sounds good. If I had known sooner........... The 200mw green, from the unmentionable company should arrive tomorrow. If it's not a ripoff, I can remove the one from Gun Auction, take pictures, or even just send it to you or whoever, and mount it and use it. At that point, I could i could see if your guy can do something with the old one, for a spare for next time, or even replace a 50mw on one of my other single shot rifles.

Actually, I can point you to the actual one I bought back then. gunauction.com/buy/12571229/

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Ah that's just basically a laser pointer with a mount. Those are super easy to work with. We generally use existing flashlights to make laser pointers out of because it's such a simple thing to do. I've been wanting to get into the business of selling kits. I've sold quite a few in the past and I have a lot of ideas I never got around to putting up for sale. Namely hosts that have recharging circuits built in. Maybe I'll get into it again. Meh we'll see.
Just remember that lasers should be treated like guns too. That kind of focused coherent light will damage your eyes. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of how much. Best for you and your firearms is Green laser light because you can see it more than any other color which means you don't have to use as much power to see it either.

fidmas

Yes, it's just a simple pointer, but remember that once mounted, you need the adjustment screws to aim the dot up/down and left/right until it lands on the spot where the bullet hits. In gun talk, that's elevation and windage. It also has to be stable enough to take the vibration of the shots, even though that's not too bad for .22s. I saw a picture someplace (I can't find now) where the set screws push around some kind of prism in front of the diode. It wasn't detailed enough for me to understand. I'll do better if i get to take this bad one apart.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah keep me posted. I'll give you a little bit of help for ya if you ever want to get a custom build going. Also there's a member map on here who offer power meter testing services if you ever want to know the true output power of those lasers. You can't always trust a sellers general description of a laser especially from unknown places. 200mw might actually be a simple 45mw and you'd never know it.

Here's lifetimes for sale thread https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/sale-thread-hosts-heat-sinks-focus-adapters-lasers.100082/

fidmas

Thanks. I'm supposed to get that 200mw today some time. I've got my fingers crossed. The first 65mw green that I got from Gun Auction arrived with a wimpy dot that looked like 5mw to me. I sent it back to him and he explained why and sent it back to me with a picture of his power meter reading 75mw. That's the one that has gotten wimpy again, that I'm replacing. I looked at power meters that were way over my head, so a service would be nice. But, I'm starting to get a "feel" for how much power I need, no matter what it says.

I'll let you know if i can find the break-out picture of the laser sight aiming prism stuff if I can find it online again.

Best wishes... please do keep us in the loop.
also

FYI==in case you do not know..
when you double the mW it does not double the preceived 'brightness' you need to go 4X to 'see' double. Green is for sure your best choice. ..and of course--higher mW means better heat sink may be needed .

. (or shorter duty time)
I would think you do not need to run it so long as to overheat.
Daisey makes a laser sight for BB guns !! lol

fidmas

Best wishes... please do keep us in the loop.
also

FYI==in case you do not know..
when you double the mW it does not double the preceived 'brightness' you need to go 4X to 'see' double. Green is for sure your best choice. ..and of course--higher mW means better heat sink may be needed .

. (or shorter duty time)
I would think you do not need to run it so long as to overheat.
Daisey makes a laser sight for BB guns !! lol
The BQ unit arrived last evening and functions as expected this morning, although it's a very overcast day. It looks about the same brightness, at 80 to 90 feet as the one I got years ago. So, without a meter, I can't tell how strong they are, but they both fit my needs now.

I didn't now about percived brightness and power. Thanks. I guess it logarithmic like sound.

Now I wonder what to do with the 65mw one from Gun Auction. I could just toss it but I wonder how it dropped to barely visible from sittting on the gun rack for several months. If you know anyone who might want to play with it, I could send it. The worst that could happen is someone else tosses it.