Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

any cheap 1W 445 lasers?

I should actually try and build my own. Problem is I'm worried about ruining something..

Yeah, that's always a bit scary. It still is for me.
A good way to get introduced, if you have the desire and patience for it, is to get a pre-assembled module with driver (DTR's laser shop has them in ~1W 450nm) and a host kit from someone else here. That requires minimal work and all the sensitive, scary stuff is already done. All you have to do is wire up a couple things, screw it together, and insert batteries.
This way it will cost a bit more.
On the other hand, to just flat-out buy a laser from an online store, you will spend about as much for something decent anyway.
Look through the Reviews section and see if anything from the retailers looks good to you.
A lot of people seem to like Sanwu. I've never ordered from them but they look pretty respectable.

Edit: If you do decide to go the full-DIY route, I wouldn't mind donating a couple spare modules (just blank modules with no diode or anything) to a fellow Californian.

Last edited:
The Thor M2 is a great choice and highly recommend it for anyone new to lasers. Thanks Encap for linking my review many posts above :) !
If you are into this hobby, chances are you will make your own at some point. Don't worry about breaking anything such as cheap diodes.

All part of learning! :beer:

AaronT

I would recommend this build. Using a C6 host from Survival Laser and a 20mm Module from DTR of your choice, he has a nice selection and can set the driver.

DTR 2W 470nm C6

A pair of pliers and a soldering iron on two good sized forgiving spots and you have a high quality build that you did yourself.

My Build

Don't forget OD5 goggles for the nm laser you go with.

I have a pair of "steam punk" goggles with interchangeable lenses, I just cut goggles in to lenses for them.

Yeah, that's always a bit scary. It still is for me.
A good way to get introduced, if you have the desire and patience for it, is to get a pre-assembled module with driver (DTR's laser shop has them in ~1W 450nm) and a host kit from someone else here. That requires minimal work and all the sensitive, scary stuff is already done. All you have to do is wire up a couple things, screw it together, and insert batteries.
This way it will cost a bit more.
On the other hand, to just flat-out buy a laser from an online store, you will spend about as much for something decent anyway.
Look through the Reviews section and see if anything from the retailers looks good to you.
A lot of people seem to like Sanwu. I've never ordered from them but they look pretty respectable.

Edit: If you do decide to go the full-DIY route, I wouldn't mind donating a couple spare modules (just blank modules with no diode or anything) to a fellow Californian.
Thanks for the offer but no. Do I require a soldering kit for the wires? I have one but never used it.

Thanks for the offer but no. Do I require a soldering kit for the wires? I have one but never used it.

It would be best if you did. Also, buy some shrink tubes. They come in a variety of sizes you can cut to length and shrink with heat.

GSS

Idrago, soldering 2 wires together is lesson #1 for first time soldering. Pretty simple so don't let it scare you. If I can do it, you can thats for sure:)
I'm curious to what your plan is?

Idrago, soldering 2 wires together is lesson #1 for first time soldering. Pretty simple so don't let it scare you. If I can do it, you can thats for sure:)
I'm curious to what your plan is?
no plan atm. I need to watch a few dozen youtube videos first..

Also my laser just fixed itself. I left it on for like 2 minutes straight and the light turned back into a square. Anyone know what happened?

Last edited:
no plan atm. I need to watch a few dozen youtube videos first..

Also my laser just fixed itself. I left it on for like 2 minutes straight and the light turned back into a square. Anyone know what happened?

That's odd.
The best I (probably we) can do is speculate.
If you provide more info about the problem we can do a better job of diagnosing and finding solutions.

My first impression is that it's an issue with the lens. The optics may not be secure and if they move around, it could distort the beam. It's also possible that there's crap in the optics. Another possibility is that the diode window is loose. I can't imagine why leaving it on for 2 minutes would fix any of these issues unless there was a piece of something in the beam and the extended laser exposure obliterated it. In that case, I'd expect the optics to fog up with the vaporized obstruction.
But, like I said, this is just speculation.

That's odd.
The best I (probably we) can do is speculate.
If you provide more info about the problem we can do a better job of diagnosing and finding solutions.

My first impression is that it's an issue with the lens. The optics may not be secure and if they move around, it could distort the beam. It's also possible that there's crap in the optics. Another possibility is that the diode window is loose. I can't imagine why leaving it on for 2 minutes would fix any of these issues unless there was a piece of something in the beam and the extended laser exposure obliterated it. In that case, I'd expect the optics to fog up with the vaporized obstruction.
But, like I said, this is just speculation.

after it was fixed the rectangle the laser created had a lot of lines going horizontally, like a bar code. It looks like agentmcbaine's thor unfocused

Last edited:

GSS

Time to change the plastic lens just like Agent did before you do anymore damage.
Don't turn it on anymore and hope nothing got on the diode window:can:

If this thing did come with an acrylic lens, you need to change it before turning it on again. You will only destroy the laser diode by continuing to use it like that.

Reactions: GSS