Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any 445 accidents yet?

DrSid

Good idea ! Pity I don't have LPM. For such purposes it would be interesting to have 'artificial eye', lens with 7mm diameter, to be mounted in front of LPM. Anyway most LPMs I've seen have about that size of sensor .. and they should measure both focused and unfocused light. Some sensitive LPM would be useful, as values will be low, I guess under 10mW.

oic0

The under 5mw thing is not safe for constant exposure though. That is what is safe for the short period of time before you close your eyes. Someone needs to find out what the constant exposure limit is though it will probably vary by wavelength since some will cause your iris to close more than others.

I burned my finger when I first played with the projector. Holding down the interlock switch and aiming the array at a tree. Finger slipped into the beam path and it stung, that was enough of a wakeup call for me, been a LOT more careful since then.

I'm betting a number of people have already damaged their eyes and don't know it yet. It only takes once and there's no going back. It's what has kept me from building anything too portable with these. They really ought to be in a good solid mount that won't roll around, have a keyswitch and mechanical beam shutter or cap.

LSRFAQ

The under 5mw thing is not safe for constant exposure though. That is what is safe for the short period of time before you close your eyes. Someone needs to find out what the constant exposure limit is though it will probably vary by wavelength since some will cause your iris to close more than others.

Constant skin exposure is a mere 320 uW per CM^2 for a 8 hour day, or less depending on wavelength. Eye is less then that.

Yes, prolonged exposure to scattering is cumulative as well, and with a class IV laser, even indirect scattering can be hazardous, you have to MEASURE each situation, as no two scatterers are the same.

Steve