Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Antique "LPM", an early prototype you could say....

Here is another score I got from a recent university science department house cleaning. This unique and otherwise mundane looking white box almost got away from me. Much like the Steampunk motor with five speed transmission, I almost left this one sitting on the shelf. Again, glad my curiosity got the better of me. I didn't crack it open until I got home. This old device is a "solar radiation monitor" and it is 100% mechanical. It uses a wind up drum that probably record a month at a time per revolution. The device under the glass dome is the "thermopile". Again, 100% mechanical. It flexes when warmed by the sun hitting it and through a series of levers and arms it moves the stylus up and down on the slowly rotating drum. So, no it's not really an LPM but it could be I suppose. It wouldn't be very accurate and response time would be pretty slow. I have however shined one of my 3w 445's onto the "thermopile" and it certainly moves the stylus. All I need now is a faster moving drum and some calibrating and I'm set to go. Not sure what it's maximum power rating would be. I suppose somewhere around 100w considering the few millimeters I got it to move with my 445. I may just have to figure out a way to make this a genuine LPM someday. I've got too many other interesting projects to do right now but someday when I'm bored this may just become my standby LPM. I'm gonna talk with ARG and see if he could implement his datalogging into it for me as well ;)
Enjoy the pics.
imagejpg2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Re: Antique "LPM", and early prototype you could say....

Here's another
imagejpg4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ru124t

I am speechless! All I can say is AWESOME !!!!! What a find!!!!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

This would have been a great item to put up on the "guess the mystery item" thread. :thinking:
I can see how you might have passed this up, it doesn't look like too much until you open it up. All the magic is on the inside.
Thanks for sharing. :)

The device under the glass dome is the thermopile. Again, 100% mechanical. It flexes when warmed by the sun hitting it

A thermopile is not a mechanical device; it is a solid state device. What you're describing is called a bimetallic strip.

You find the coolest stuff Jeff. :beer:

This came in the same batch as the steampunk Lumia motor I got as well. I highly recommend you make friends with someone in the science dept of your local university. When my friend started to show the the list of stuff they took to the dump three months ago I had to quit looking at it. Sad to see so much neat stuff get buried with the rest of our refuse.

nice share Jeff +5 when I can

(BTW)PM coming about PIC resizing hak

Hospitals sometimes give away old gear with Argon lasers inside--