Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Antibacterial Blu-Ray?

Benm

Well, there are 2 commonly used ways of making ozone: UV light and electrical discharge (not electrolysis, that involves electrodes in a liquid, used to liberate hydrogen from water and such).

As for the blu ray: 405 nm fotons dont have enough energy to produce ozone, nor a decent germicidal effect. The good thing is that its also very unlikely to give you cancer, at least compared to, say, daylight.

The main hazard is to the eye: the wavelength is hardly visible, making it all to easy to look into, while its short enough to possibly cause problems like cataracts on the long run. The exact same is true for UV leds, that do come more and more powerful... DX sells 1W models for under $10, which put out far more light that your average bluray.

Switch

I thought the used elecrolisys in liquid O[sub]2[/sub] to make O[sub]3[/sub] :-/

And yeah , sunlight has lower wavelengths.It can fluoresce watermarks invisible to DX leds or blurays.Btw, 1W is power consumption.But i'm sure LEDs are more efficient than 10%.

the sun gives off all kinds of electromagnetic radiation, including all the wavelengths of light... what passes through our atmosphere is another story... most UVB and almost all UVC and higher is filtered out.

and yeah, a correction to my previous post, I guess 405nm isn't really UVA, I was referencing wikipedia at the time and I think it said UVA is roughly 300-400nm, so really it's only just verging on UVA, though some diodes within spec might be as low as 395nm... researching it a bit more, definitions on what the high end of UVA constitutes vary between 380nm and 420nm, so blu-ray could be considered well within the definition. Black lights peak at 370nm and are widely regarded as UVA, though their light is visible to some degree... really, ultraviolet only means "above violet" or "beyond violet", so "a deeper shade of violet" falls well within the realm of "ultra-violet".

pseudolobster said:
the sun gives off all kinds of electromagnetic radiation, including all the wavelengths of light... what passes through our atmosphere is another story... most UVB and almost all UVC and higher is filtered out.

and yeah, a correction to my previous post, I guess 405nm isn't really UVA, I was referencing wikipedia at the time and I think it said UVA is roughly 300-400nm, so really it's only just verging on UVA, though some diodes within spec might be as low as 395nm... researching it a bit more, definitions on what the high end of UVA constitutes vary between 380nm and 420nm, so blu-ray could be considered well within the definition. Black lights peak at 370nm and are widely regarded as UVA, though their light is visible to some degree... really, ultraviolet only means "above violet" or "beyond violet", so "a deeper shade of violet" falls well within the realm of "ultra-violet".
Which is better at burning, UV or IR...

If you had 300nm UV laser and an 800nm IR laser, both 500mW, which one would be beter at burning. UV has shorter waves, and IR has longer waves.

Can black lights give you cancer?

Switch

It depends on energy density, the best focused one would win, considering absorbance is the same.UV has a better chance of getting better focused, but that isn't always the case.

Yes.It can also give you cataracts, don't look at it. ::)

Switch said:
It depends on energy density, the best focused one would win, considering absorbance is the same.UV has a better chance of getting better focused, but that isn't always the case.

Yes.It can also give you cataracts, don't look at it. ::)
Oh no!!! :eek:
How come they sell them? I used to have a gecko that had a black light shining on it all the time. Can geckos get cancer?

Switch

I don't know.......Lizards like blue light... :-/ I guess there isn't too much danger of getting cancer, but again, the possibility is there.Cataracts is another story, just don't stare into a black light.It will hurt your eyes pretty quickly.

Switch said:
I don't know.......Lizards like blue light... :-/ I guess there isn't too much danger of getting cancer, but again, the possibility is there.Cataracts is another story, just don't stare into a black light.It will hurt your eyes pretty quickly.
Ya, i have a UV flashlight, my eyes get tired after about 5 min...

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=pseudolobster link=1213060192/12#19 date=1213789608]

If you had 300nm UV laser and an 800nm IR laser, both 500mW, which one would be beter at burning. UV has shorter waves, and IR has longer waves.

I don't have true UV but, blu-ray, and I dont know the power of my IR.  My red is 300mw.

From my testing, UV burns things much more quickly than IR (and red, the other color Ive been playing w/).  I think most objects reflect IR, and absorb UV energy.  

Try it.. get a few different color balloons, papers, your skin, etc.  
My BR will burn my skin instantly, and I can point my 300mw red and IR at my skin all day and not feel it.  Also, for skin, I've noticed the red laser will light up a huge patch of my arm, it spreads through the skin, where the blu-ray stops right at the spot I shine it and STINGS.
the blu-ray will light a white match and pop light color balloons, where the red will will only work on dark objects.
On flat black, the 300mw red blows the 130mw b.r. away.

It makes sense to me that the longer wavelengths would spread out more at the point of impact, where the shorter would just pound that spot. I could be completely wrong

Those are my burning observations :)

Switch

It makes sense to me that the longer wavelengths would spread out more at the point of impact, where the shorter would just pound that spot. I could be completely wrong

Well it all depends on the material.Skin is good at dissipating and reflecting red(as you may notice , a red dot seems to gain brightness over a green dot for example) but absorbs a lot of the shorter waves, maybe even more BR than green.I'm not sure, but I'm guessing IR acts the same or very similar to red when it comes to your skin.Of course it also depends on your skin tone.

I don't know about bluray because I'm still waiting for IgorTs' from Slovenia. BUT......I have used my 250mw green to heal cuts and acne(on my Daughter). I dont know if it is the heat that either kills the bacteria or just stimulates the immune system. But it does work and is a great tool to have around the house. When I get the bluray from IgorT I will try it out too.

Switch

usakicksass said:
I don't know about bluray because I'm still waiting for IgorTs' from Slovenia. BUT......I have used my 250mw green to heal cuts and acne(on my Daughter). I dont know if it is the heat that either kills the bacteria or just stimulates the immune system. But it does work and is a great tool to have around the house. When I get the bluray from IgorT I will try it out too.

Hmm, blu-ray on skin, I detect large quantities of cancer ;D

Switch said:
[quote author=usakicksass link=1213060192/24#27 date=1215489973]I don't know about bluray because I'm still waiting for IgorTs' from Slovenia. BUT......I have used my 250mw green to heal cuts and acne(on my Daughter). I dont know if it is the heat that either kills the bacteria or just stimulates the immune system. But it does work and is a great tool to have around the house. When I get the bluray from IgorT I will try it out too.

Hmm, blu-ray on skin, I detect large quantities of cancer ;D[/quote]

Have you received that Cancer-o-Meter you purchased some time ago off DX?

Switch

nikokapo said:
[quote author=Switch link=1213060192/24#29 date=1215518389][quote author=usakicksass link=1213060192/24#27 date=1215489973]I don't know about bluray because I'm still waiting for IgorTs' from Slovenia. BUT......I have used my 250mw green to heal cuts and acne(on my Daughter). I dont know if it is the heat that either kills the bacteria or just stimulates the immune system. But it does work and is a great tool to have around the house. When I get the bluray from IgorT I will try it out too.

Have you received that Cancer-o-Meter you purchased some time ago off DX?[/quote]

Yeah, it's a laser cancer meter, you see, you point your laser at the cancer head and it shows you the cancer power rating of your laser, in mW. :D

Switch said:
[quote author=nikokapo link=1213060192/24#30 date=1215533669][quote author=Switch link=1213060192/24#29 date=1215518389][quote author=usakicksass link=1213060192/24#27 date=1215489973]I don't know about bluray because I'm still waiting for IgorTs' from Slovenia. BUT......I have used my 250mw green to heal cuts and acne(on my Daughter). I dont know if it is the heat that either kills the bacteria or just stimulates the immune system. But it does work and is a great tool to have around the house. When I get the bluray from IgorT I will try it out too.

Have you received that Cancer-o-Meter you purchased some time ago off DX?[/quote]

Yeah, it's a laser cancer meter, you see, you point your laser at the cancer head and it shows you the cancer power rating of your laser, in mW. :D[/quote]

mW? I thought you measured cancer in MW/switchez

is it well callibrated?