Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another UPS horror story

I just got a notice from UPS that I have to pay brokerage and duties. DUTIES into the united states. Since when did this shit start happening?

Was the package shipped within the United states or from abroad?

Kenom

It was from Laserglow. (which is in Canada) Package arrive, I signed for it, opened it and played.. In the mail 4 days later I get a letter from UPS.

Says I owe them money for Duties and Brokerage fees.
People wonder why I hate UPS... Gawd if you'd have to fill out their customs forms a lot you'd go POSTAL HAHAHAHA.

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

And what's up with the INC.??!?!?

Ok I see page 1 of 3, page 3 of 3... where's 2?

Last edited:
Kenom - You're actually quite lucky; brokerage fees here in Canada are $25 per package. :eek:

I was also under the impression that you're suppose to pay duty if the value of the items exceeds $30...

VW

Out of interest, where did you buy it from?

Kenom

laserglow directly. I've had lots of stuff shipped from all over the place and never once have I had to pay brokerage fees. What are they even? Duties? What are those? Are they just freakin taxes? Why am I being assessed a tax on a purchase? isn't that what sales taxes are for? Montana doesn't have a sales tax. It just leaves me scratching my head going WTF??!?!?

I didn't know you were a company Kenom.... (reference to the Inc)

I once ordered something from Digikey ($50worth). After a month, still no package, even if the shipping time is 24H...

After looking at the delivery proof, I found out that the date of delivery inscribed didn't match the tracking... Ya right, received it Monday, but still in customs on Tuesday (same week)...

But according to UPS, the tracking info can be updated later... They also said the package was dropped by my front door (I was absent). Still, I don't understand why it was not left on my back porch, like they say on the website.

Talked to Digikey, they sent me a new one (arrived in 24H), and a month later, UPS refunded (not sure about that verb use) me.

It probably got stolen. I imagine the guys deception after unpacking ICs, resistors and connectors...

A lot of BS, but I did get my stuff at no extra cost.

VW

Here in the UK things are even worse... We get charged 17.5% on every package which weighs over a certain weight, as well as any package that exceeds £17.50. Not only that, but a lot of companies even charge you to release your package (a package that isn't even theirs in the forst place)... Gets on my nerves, constantly...

mfo

Well I do know for a fact that you are actually supposed to pay Import Taxes (duties) on things you have imported into this country. That's why a lot of times when people buy/sell small things, they usually put "gift" or something small worth less than $10 on the declaration forums so that the receiver doesn't have to pay duties.

Well I do know for a fact that you are actually supposed to pay Import Taxes (duties) on things you have imported into this country. That's why a lot of times when people buy/sell small things, they usually put "gift" or something small worth less than $10 on the declaration forums so that the receiver doesn't have to pay duties.
They put these declarations, because shipping companies charge fees if those declarations are not stated.
Obviously, now they charge them regardless.

Wow. What terrible damage! I've never had a package arrive to and from me in that condition, but I rarely had to deal with UPS ever (I think only once).

All the packages I send are either through either Canada post or Purolator. I get good rates through Puro b/c one of my friends is a dispatcher there.

Anyway, I hope UPS pays up for that horror because i'd get extremely vocal if that would have happened to me.

Most of the (minor) damage I ever had on packages is when I order CDs and the cases are either cracked or the spindle teeth are broken off... Usually easy to resolve with a new CD case, but not so if the CD arrives in a carcboard "digipak"...

- Robert

I have a friend who just got a job at UPS. He says one night they were about to close down and someone's package hadn't been sorted yet (or whatever they do with them). He asked his manager "isn't that the customer's package?"
and his manager replied "Oh don't worry about it." and he KICKED it across the room into some other direction.

Razako

I have a friend who just got a job at UPS. He says one night they were about to close down and someone's package hadn't been sorted yet (or whatever they do with them). He asked his manager "isn't that the customer's package?"
and his manager replied "Oh don't worry about it." and he KICKED it across the room into some other direction.
I had a job in a warehouse for a while and I can honestly say that stuff like this is far too common. I mean people really don't seem to give a damn as long as the item/package in question isn't their own. Throwing stuff into boxes, kicking items, scratching things and dropping items off a high shelf and just putting it back pretending nothing happened. They don't seem to realize that their jobs depend on the quality of their work and the company they work for will lose customers if the items aren't treated properly.

Now that is a little hard for me to understand. I get the workers venting the frustration on the boxes (not realising anything and not caring either), but a manager?! He should be the first to realise that it ain't the package, but his and his workers' job to take care of 'em!!
People are stupid. But some excell more then others, I guess :p