Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another safety question....glasses for 405nm?

leemp5

Hi guys,

Sorry I understand you get a lot of these newbie questions relating to safety glassed however I cant seem to find a direct answer using the search or google.

I have just ordered a 405nm 800-1000mw laser pointer and im looking for some help with regards to safety glasses.

I understand that only a small potion of the light is visible to my eyes making the spot appear duller than it actually is, however the light that is not visible can still cause damage.

Will safety glasses for the correct wavelength allow me to look at the spot without damaging my eyes or are they simply a precaution in case the beam accidental shines directly in my eyes?

Also im finding it pretty hard to find a decent pair of 405nm safety glasses here in the UK, can anybody recommend a retailer?

Many Thanks

leemp5

oh...lol...you can tell im new lol

So can I look at the spot with a naked eye with no damage done to my eyes?

Yes that is the main purpose, the dot of a class 4 laser is too bright to look at up close or when burning anything. The glasses can also protect you from a direct hit but some of the cheaper ones won't. You can always view the beam without glasses, just don't view the dot from too close and be sure there's no chance of an accident. 405nm is more dangerous because it's not very visible so it's looks are deceiving.

OdicForce
Is in the UK.

You should add your location to your profile so it shows under your name, more people will answer your questions, especially if you ask where to buy something.

You can also buy from Survival Laser International Home
But they ship from the US.

Alan

Edit:
oh...lol...you can tell im new lol

So can I look at the spot with a naked eye with no damage done to my eyes?

No you can't! At a far enough distance you can, but with a 405nm it's not easy to tell if it's too bright to look at.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
No do not look at the dot without safety glasses, at least not up close.

Here is a link to some quality , reasonably priced safety glasses. Survival laser's international store.
Be sure and get a pair that cover the 405nm wavelength.

Edit- You beat me to Pi. :)

Last edited:

leemp5

Thanks guys all clarified.

Location added to name :yh:

I was looking at the eagle pair from survival laser as I have read good things about them but I didnt really want to order from the US. As it turns out Odic Force have them, thanks for the link.

Regards

Steijn

Those are out of my price range. I'm thinking of ordering these
also from OdicForce in the UK, for use with 405nm, <50mW. Any comments, or preferably experience with them, please?
As there is no OD rating in the description i wouldn’t trust them for your eyes. Go watch destructive testing of laser goggles from styropyro it might help you out

hey Gramhm and Stel...
check the dates of the last post there...kinda OLD.
BUT maybe others may also have needed the correct info on 405.
I say 405 is the most dangerous of all the visible lines....looks harmless BUT NO-- quickest burner while being the hardest to see.
The dot and beam are very thin which IIRC 'concentrates' the power.
SO IMO 405nm is the LAST laser that a child or underinformed adult should ever use.
When we measure beam and dot size of (especially) 405 .. eye protection is NEVER optional. The risk is very high. Don't even try. When I measure dot size I use a fine tip Sharpie and quickly outline the dot and measure it later. At the laser front you cannot do that
easily. I use a caliper and adjust until the edges of the beam barely touch--then read how much later. One of the MOST important thing about buying eye protection is the buying of the laser before you own correct protection.. crazy to do that any other way.
You will spend the same. And if you should ever want to sell the laser you can include the eye protection--so I think of that like 'renting' eyeware--sell for about the same IF you take very good care.
I wont send any laser to a buyer until AFTER I know for sure they are being safe. Some sellers include 'free' eye protection and they MAY not send the most expensive.. I use those a little as possible and keep them handy as guest glasses. SL is the best seller.

last
I may not be known by all BUT... if you can turn down the power--the dot size does not get much smaller-it actually gets easier to see..-anything you do with a laser is safer when at the lowest mW .

be safe!!!

hk