Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another one of my crazy projects :D

Things

Did you manage to get soldermask between the pads on the PCB's? I think through itead 0.5mm pitch is pushing it, so I doubt I'll end up with soldermask. I was gonna try hand flowing them first, but I have a few of them just in case I need to resort to the iron.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
DSCF1905.jpg

Just thinking about soldering those makes me shiver.

djQUAN

I hand solder these at work when doing countermeasures on designs. :D

It isn't too hard with the right technique. If all else fails, solder wick helps a lot.

SMD_QFPs.jpg

Things

The programming begins :D

I was actually surprised how fast I managed to get the LTC battery monitor up and running, I was expecting it to be a lot more painful. But so far I've got it reading the cell voltages, displaying them on the LCD, and I've also got the code for the speed sensor ready.

DSCF1952.jpg

DSCF1948.jpg

DSCF1949.jpg

DSCF1950.jpg

Last edited:

Things

Got a bit more done, lasercut the box for the LCD unit and mounted a few buttons, programmed a few various display options, and also added some custom large characters for displaying the speed. I also programmed the charging code, so it now detects when the charger is plugged in, will disable the ESC, and display voltage and battery charge percentage.

DSCF1957.jpg

DSCF1958.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

Next up is programming the current ADC, adding some battery protection code, and fixing it so the LCD isn't constantly updating even though the values haven't changed.

Dan

Last edited:

Things

Current measurement working :D

DSCF1963.jpg

I also blew up a battery protection chip somehow, probably from the large inrush spikes when I connect the power. So I added a few protection resistors on each of the input pins to limit the current draw (it has inbuilt clamping diodes), removed the old one, and stuck a new one in. Man this is tedious!

protc.png

Last edited:

ARG

Is that giant font in the 16x2 Arduino library, or did you make it yourself?

Things

ARG, they're not part of the library, no, they're basically custom byte arrays that are stored in the LCD's 8 custom character memory. If you Google big font 16x2 there are a few examples. I'll post my code a bit later too.

Will, patience and practice ;)

Last edited:

Things

Another update! :D

Lots and lots of programming. Up to 1.3K lines of code so far and still going :(