Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another Mighty Mini Laser Show Mod - Blu-ray!

jayrob

Most of us have seen these little mini projectors: (this mod has probably been shown, but I finally got around to fixing mine up)
1.jpg

They are amazingly good for the price! About $15 bucks...
http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3039843&bhcd2=1220671609

Other sources:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=s6xZT8WUE6rhiAK64PjrAg&ved=0CGAQ8wIwBA

The only thing is, they only have about a 5mW red laser in there. So, although the controls are very good. The show is dim.

The good thing is, they are pretty easy to modify:
2.jpg

You can put a more powerful red in there, or how about a blu-ray! :D

These little two motor spirographs, are actually pretty cool! Because it has an option for manual control, which gives you control of both motors... fast, slow, and reverse too!

It also has an auto option, which goes through a series of pre-programmed (or random) designs.

3.jpg

A 100mW blu-ray, makes this little thing well worth the investment! :D

Replaced the plastic aperture window with a glass one too... (much better)

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

jayrob

I bought this thing a while ago (before I followed the mini projector project from rog8811) and it just sat, because it seemed kind of weak with the 5mW red...

Glad I dusted it off! As you can see from the pictures, it is easy to put a FlexDrive in there with an AixiZ module! It's pretty nice now! :cool:

What a deal for an initial investment of like $20 bucks...
Jay

I just received one in the mail today. For the price it is way cool and pretty impressive with the <5mW red laser in there. I can't wait to mod it with a Blu-Ray :) Was the connection from the PCB to the flexdrive easy to identify?

Zom-B

Holy blues, I did not know a blu-ray spirograph would look that great.

I've seen a mod with this thing and a red before on this forum, so it's nothing new per se. Still, I made my own so I don't need a gadget to mod, and it's even got smaller mirrors and motors so it's probably faster. Going to modify it to blu-red or something in the future. Hmm, maybe with my magenta laser ;D

Zom-B said:
Holy blues, I did not know a blu-ray spirograph would look that great.

I've seen a mod with this thing and a red before on this forum, so it's nothing new per se. Still, I made my own so I don't need a gadget to mod, and it's even got smaller mirrors and motors so it's probably faster. Going to modify it to blu-red or something in the future. Hmm, maybe with my magenta laser ;D

your magenta laser? is that just a 650 and 405 mixed?

jayrob

WackBag said:
I just received one in the mail today.  For the price it is way cool and pretty impressive with the <5mW red laser in there.  I can't wait to mod it with a Blu-Ray :)  Was the connection from the PCB to the flexdrive easy to identify?

The unit's power supply is 3 X AAA batteries, so I just used my DMM to find a solder point on the little board at the right side that gave me 4.5ish volts when switched on. (manual or auto)

Then just solder your positive lead from that point, to your FlexDrive input. (find negative too of course) Then you can set the current on your FlexDrive!

I just used an AixiZ module as you can see in the pictures. :cool:
Jay

Thanks Jay...I'm waiting on some green modules from Susie. Once they arrive I'm gonna try and see if I can fit one of them in.

And here's one that's going for 12.50 shipped.

ArRaY said:
Do the(e?)se spirographs have FS mirrors?

No, not for $15. The designers didn't care about loosing 10% of a 3mW laser.

Spirographs are okay, but you know what's better? Spirograph Tunnels! see the space in the middle? Sit there, add some smoke, and have a hayday!  ;)