Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Animal laser safety

If youve got pets your notice they CRAVE Your laser pointer.
But what are the limits of mW for animals.
Heres my Tested breakdown.

Animals Crave The Most:
Cats - Green
Dogs - Green
Rabbits - Blue
Fish - Any Colour
Birds - Red

Animals Hate The Most:
Pigeons - Hate Green
Sheep - Hate Green
Bulls - Hate Red [Durgh]
Cows - Hate Red
Pigs - Hate Green

By "Animals Crave" I mean these animals enjoy using this colour laser.
By "Animals Hate" Do not under any circumstances shie that colour laser at/near this animal they may become aggressive/angry/frightened and may not react in the way you imagined. Especially Sheep & Birds.

mW Limits [MAX mW That wont affect animals - Backed up by Dr. Turner, Anrich Vetinary Hospital]
Dogs - 5mW
Cats - 1mW
Fish - 5mW
Rabbits - 20mW
Birds - 20mW-30mW [Unsure - please beware]

I hope this helps people to be safe when playing with pets and understand what animals are truly affected by lasers [negatively] and what animals love the most. personally get a cheap ebay 1mW and play with your dog or get a red 1mW and screw around with your cat. Its 10X Cheaper than catnip and lasts 10X longer.

***ALL RESULTS ARE DEADLY ACURATE AND HAVE BEEN TESTED - YES EVEN SHEEP & BULLS [Live near Farm] PLEASE NOTE YOUR PET MAY NOT REACT THE WAY MINE DID***

thanks A Million forums

For my dog it does not matter what color it is, she likes any color.
My cat prefers red.
And for your information cows and bulls are color blind. I know this since I used to raise cattle.

I think you need to do a little work on your testing.

How Animals See Color

Dogs, cats, mice, rats and rabbits have very poor color vision.
In fact, they see mostly greys and some blues and yellows.

see_girl-dog-1.jpg

This is what humans see.
see-girl-dog2.jpg

This is what dogs & cats see.​

What about bulls? Does a red cape make them angry?
Does a red cape make them want to attack it?

vision-bull1.jpg

This is what humans see.
vision-bull2.jpg

This is what a bull sees.​
Bulls are color-blind. They charge the red cape because it is moving, not because it is red.

Some animals do have good color vision. Monkeys, ground squirrels, birds, insects, and many fish can see a fairly good range of color. In some cases it's not as good as what we humans see - but it's much better than cats and dogs.
see-nature-animals.jpg

Scientists say that good color vision helps animals find food on the land or in the water. For land animals, good color vision helps to tell the difference between ripe red fruit and unripe green fruit. Colors can also make animals more attractive to each other when they mate. Finally, the ability to see colors helps animals identify predators (other animals who may attack them).

Yes I will go over my testing procedures.

I took my cat to my study and placed her on the white floor. Then continued to make circles with green/red/blue 1mW lasers. From the way she darted back and forth i knew green was her favourite.

I also took my dog, Duke, a young german shephard. He likes to put his paw over the red dot as if to squash it but actually chased the green on barking at it often.

My Rabbit Snowy would hop after my blue 1mw and didnt react to the red. She seemed mildy interested in the green but blue was like ice-cream for her.

My fish didnt give a sh#t they thought it was food, chased it , tried to eat it, then swam away.

my neighbours cockatiels [4 of em] all seemed to go for the red laser probably because it looked like a berry i suppose? Im not an animal expert.

Documents investigating pupil reaction to light was found by mt friend alan [Dr. turner] and hes a vet. He showed it to me and I scanned it for later use. Then I found the animals I needed and looked at which animals were the most sensetive. Then i judged an appropriate mW output.

Bulls & Sheep & Pigs were all similar tests to the cat & dog but in a fenced off field. It took a while to test every one but I managed to do it.

My cats breed: Semi-Long haired Domestic
Dogs: 8mnth German Shephard
Rabbit: Dont know
fish: Goldfigh
The birds: Cockatiels
Sheep: Yorkshire longcoat
Pig: Black bellied moorer
Bull: Harvard Male bull
Cows: Unknown to farmer

Thanks.

I agree with dogs and cats. My dog and cat seem to prefer green to red. They don't get bored with it as quickly and they put more effort into trying to catch it.

Both my cats, and my dog, all show a lot more interest in 589nm yellow than any other color.

Though the following is funny as hell.

***ALL RESULTS ARE DEADLY ACURATE AND HAVE BEEN TESTED - YES EVEN SHEEP & BULLS [Live near Farm] PLEASE NOTE YOUR PET MAY NOT REACT THE WAY MINE DID***

If they're 'deadly accurate' then shouldn't they apply to everybody's pets?

USING ALL CAPS DOESN'T MAKE ANYONE CORRECT OR BELIEVABLE. JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY YOUR RIGHT DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE. heh. I could say i'm Jesus, but that wouldn't make it true.

I think your sample size for any of the animals in question is hardly large enough to be considered scientific evidence.

I also fail to see how what color animals are interested in has much to do with safety.

About the only safety rule that needs to be followed is this; Don't play with high power lasers around your pets. Period.

By "Animals Hate" Do not under any circumstances shie that colour laser at/near this animal they may become aggressive/angry/frightened and may not react in the way you imagined. Especially Sheep & Birds

Yeah....the last thing you need is to be mauled by a sheep, I'll take my chances with a bull.:rolleyes: This has to the strangest topic, I've read in quite some time.

anselm

***ALL RESULTS ARE DEADLY ACURATE AND HAVE BEEN TESTED
Documents investigating pupil reaction to light was found by mt friend alan [Dr. turner] and hes a vet. He showed it to me and I scanned it for later use. Then I found the animals I needed and looked at which animals were the most sensetive. Then i judged an appropriate mW output.
fail :banghead:

Johnyz

My dog (4 years old Samoyed) seems to completely ignore violet. However, he seems quite interested in a green beam during night. He doesn't want to catch it, he is just watching it as I move it. Just like a real laserist! :D :na: