Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Amazon pointer comes in today.

I ended up getting this pointer Amazon.com: 50mw Green Laser Pointer Silver Dimple Finish High Power Factory Tuned: Everything Else
from amazon despite its mixed reviews because, even though o-like would have most likely been more reliable in terms of specs, this had two-day shipping.

I tracked it this morning and it will definitely be here this evening. I will let you guys know how my first dinky laser from amazon hold out lol.
If it is a complete and total dud, which it may very well be... I will order one from o-like.

It's 100% humidity here, hopefully, if it works well I'll be able to see the beam tonight.

:beer:

Trevor

I'm very intrigued. Do you happen to have a meter?

-Trevor

MikeBP

With a 50 you should be able to see a beam in low light, beams on greens are a dime a dozen because the eye sees the wave length much better irrc so it should beam really well at night and get you some rechargeable batts becuase the higher powered lasers go through them very fast but if you want a really nice show go for some lithium's.

You cant really do BAD with a laser but you will need to take better care of it, dont use it frequently, only leave it on for a minute at a time, dont use the pocket clip becuase it could be pressed in your pocket and kill your batts or even burn it out form over use (not straight away but over time) and most importantly dont use on a hot day or when its 2 cold.

It may give you a long time of great use or it may crap out in a week, I dont suggest buying a cheap build (and they charge so much becuase not everyone knows what they are really buying).

Betcha its a 10$ laser pot/resis modded.

Trevor

Betcha its a 10$ laser pot/resis modded.

I very highly doubt it's that bad. It is, however, still one of the NewWish-style pointers, so judging by the price it's not the best on the market - but it should still be as good as or better than DX.

-Trevor

I've received it and I am very impressed.
I practiced laser safety but being new to how powerful this laser was I had to test it out.
It started with me pointing at my hand, it was very bright.
Then the ground still very bright in a well lit room.
Went to walmart (prolly shouldnt have but....) It went from one corner of the store to the other corner. I lifted it well above my head and pointed it at the ceiling and aimed it down to the other corner so as to be careful not to accidently hurt anyones eyes.. I also didnt want to be noticed lol.
But, I had a huge smile on my face afterwards. I've never witnessed a laser point so far.
then it got dark outside and I pointed out orions belt and witnessed the beam.
I am VERY happy with it, especially for only paying 23$ and some cents for it.
I have Li batteries in that I picked up at Wal-mart now too btw.
Okay okay, lets all snicker at the noobie excited over his baby laser :p

Ash

Interestingly enough. My first 2 Green lasers were from MPO (Micro...Prod.. Online), in Southern California, and (not to bum you out) they didn't last very long. My 30mW ended up turning into a 5mW after a few weeks , and my 50mW from them died (probably killed it with my extended [>5 minute] duty cycle) after about 3 months. But that was almost a year ago, and maybe they have better models now.
Have fun, and remember to use safety goggles when using indoors on white walls or near reflective surfaces. :pop:

I'll write a review about it in... two weeks. If it's still doing good I'll let everyone know. Because as for now IMO its was a pretty good buy. But , yeah, it very would could die out soon. Although, I do keep the duty cycles low.. in the >30s range. I get scared of something for some reason if it's on too long, afraid of people, batteries, diode, etc.. lol

And on a more important note.. does this mean I get to put a green font 50mW 532nm in my sig? :drool:

Heh, I bought one of those as well. Don't have a meter for it either, unfortunately :(

It seems like the output has died a little since I've owned it. Haven't gone through the fully charged batteries I put in it yet(not the ones it comes with, rechargeable NiMH AAA's), just to give an estimate of how much I've used mine. As a test I put in a new set of batteries and the output didn't noticeably increase, so... take that for what it's worth, which may not be much xD

Welcome to LPF Texan--good advice on safety from members-also- take care to not let the beam reflect back into the pointer- and if you were to put a cap on it and turn it on- NOT GOOD.

Follow the duty cycle too- to be extra safe-I use max on of 30 seconds- and 2 seconds of rest for every one second on---Plus the usual- dont drop-get wet-or EVER let kiddos (or adults behaving child-like) use any laser (keep locked away when not in your hands!!)--last advice- aiming at aircraft=felony--at cars or people--a quick call to the police may get your laser taken away or much worse--BUT, IMO you come off like a responsible hobby laserist-but be sure to pass this info to everyone-LPF loves photos--Hakzaw

I bought a 30mw from the same guy... Just disassembled it... Turns out to have a 5mw diode with no mod

Trevor

I bought a 30mw from the same guy... Just disassembled it... Turns out to have a 5mw diode with no mod

Did you meter it or something?

And maybe its module was 5mW, but if it was outputting 5mW of green its diode was rated higher.

-Trevor

I'll write a review about it in... two weeks. If it's still doing good I'll let everyone know. Because as for now IMO its was a pretty good buy. But , yeah, it very would could die out soon. Although, I do keep the duty cycles low.. in the >30s range. I get scared of something for some reason if it's on too long, afraid of people, batteries, diode, etc.. lol

And on a more important note.. does this mean I get to put a green font 50mW 532nm in my sig? :drool:

Yes, you can now put it in your sig. Hopefully the first of many:wave:
My guess is, it is outputting around 15mW. Just wait until you see a "true" 50mW. It's like staring into the sun (looking at the dot, obviously, don't look into the beam or it will be the last thing you ever see) :cryyy:

My first laser was from MPO (5mW), and it died in about 3 months. The diode actually still worked, but the lens came unglued and was rattling around, which gave me a weak crescent-shaped beam. Plus, it had a screw off secondary lens, and the rest of the module was deep-set so there was no way to take it apart. I hope yours works out, just be sure not to bang the head or shake it too much.

It's been a couple of weeks and nothing has changed, so it isn't a complete dud.
But, I will be sure to take care of it.