Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

am i the only one who actually likes the danger stickers on laserpointers?

i actually like them. not because i'm a silly idiot who doesn't knows that strong lasers are dangerous but because they make a laser look more badass. even a cheap, weak keychain laserpointer looks super dangerous with it.

1000_F_115753243_9qzXrx0yWI2NVYtllExVmPIine9QXUpW.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Laser stickers can add to the aesthetics of product. But obviously we know they are there for a reason. But its the same effect any professional labelling adds to a product. In our mind, we see something more commercial, of a higher quality and complete when we see decals.
If you ever build models, the act of putting the decals on does seriously enhance the final outcome. Yet these labels aren't for show in reality.

1707312719498.png

Eidetical

I seek out lasers that don't have such stickers, that were standardized and mandated around 1973. Same with shutters, key switches, indicator lights, and interlock connectors. Just a nanny-state waste of time in my opinion. But I agree they make lasers look dangerous.

I like the stickers. I made some custom stickers and put them on all my builds.
Aside from the aesthetic and as a safety warning, they also help me distinguish builds that all look the same externally since I include the wavelength of each laser on the sticker.

@Eidetical
Lasers are dangerous. When working in a laboratory, it would be important to me to know what kind of laser is in operation in order to take appropriate precautions. I'm confident in my own ability to assess and mitigate risks but I know I'm not infallible and I know with great certainty that there are others that are much more fallible than myself.
An experienced technician plugging in a CO2 laser cutter while their family jewels are dangling in the beam path is natural selection; an undergrad research assistant looking into the aperture of a YAG laser to check if it's on is more like genetic drift.
I think there's a difference between nanny-state mandates and pragmatic risk mitigation. I think laser safety features are the latter.
I also wear a helmet every time I ride my motorcycles and indicate when I change lanes.

Eidetical

All great points. I was thinking of the shutters etc. when I made the nanny-state comment. Not the stickers.

405nanoMatt

I would love to put some stickers on my builds but 1st I would need to accurately lpm them to find out what I need printed on the stickers right now the entire deal is more than I want to spend.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpeg
    IMG_0946.jpeg
    698 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    861 KB · Views: 3
We used to have members here who would custom make these stickers. I bought many that not only showed the exact wavelength, but also the output power.

I've made a ton of custom labels for my pen lasers. My most recent CNI pen doesn't have one yet but it will!

Pen-Labels.jpg

After months of having blue painters tape for labels I finally went about getting some much more visually appealing labels for my Spyders

Spyder-Labels.jpg